Help with my first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I made my first batch of cider about two months ago. The OG was 1.055 and when I transferred it to my secondary it the FG was 1.010. I have tasted it along and it was dry and tart, so I put a couple cider sticks in about a week ago. The cider has been kept at room temp and in a dark place. So today when I went to taste it, it was flat and tasted like apple cider water. Is it ruined or is there something I can do to give it some flavor?

What is a cider stick?

Cheap store bought juice is low in acids and oils because its meant to be drank as is. I suggest adding an acid blend (you can do that now). If you back sweeten, even just a bit, it will bring out some flavors as well.

Unferth said:
What is a cider stick?

Cheap store bought juice is low in acids and oils because its meant to be drank as is. I suggest adding an acid blend (you can do that now). If you back sweeten, even just a bit, it will bring out some flavors as well.

Sorry Cinnamon stick

If I back sweeten do I need to worry about re-fermentation?

Yep. Either stabilize with chemicals then backsweeten and bottle(cider will be still) or backsweeten, bottle prime and pasteurize per instructions in the sticky at the top of forum.

Latest posts

Back