help with light lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxman06

Reaction score
hello

i have not bean on hear for a long time. but i am completely all grain brewing now. i am going to be making a fermentation chamber real soon ( as soon as a good fridge candidate is found on CL) but i need some help with making a good light logger. i have made loggers in the past with no problems. but they were kits and used extract. so dose anyone no of a good recipe.

i am looking for something close to Grolsch, Coors light. and really any kind of american light.

thanks

This may help too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, that's enough. Now that I'm here, the fun's over.

I haven't made this, but it looks really good for a light lager: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f57/thats-grolsch-38132/

If not that one, there are several more that look really great in that same area of the forum (light lagers): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f57/

I usually make one light lager a year, so I'm no expert but I have some experience with them. Let us know if you need any advice!

Yooper said:
Alright, that's enough. Now that I'm here, the fun's over.

I usually make one light lager a year, so I'm no expert but I have some experience with them. Let us know if you need any advice!

C'mon the fun STARTS when you're here.

Ok... I've made some lite lagers too. But I'll have to say that I highly recommend all-malt lagers. The pilsner Urquell clone on the Brewmaster Warehouse that was linked is great, I should have made a 10 gallon batch. It was gone in a week.

Do you have the patience to brew a lager? It takes longer than most beers. Honestly to make a good lager you can use malt extracts but make sure that the hops you use are high quality noble hops.

A good Czech Pilsner isn't all that complex in terms of ingredients but the preparation and patience it takesk to make a good one is hard.

You could easily make a low gravity "steam" beer without having to lager. Good luck.

Thank you for the help and yes I know I can’t spell sometimes it happens sorry. I plan to do a 10-15 gal batch twice a year. I do have the patience for a good lager. (I have multiple fermenters so if I get bored I will make a faster one to get me by until the lager is done).

mxman06 said:
Thank you for the help and yes I know I can’t spell sometimes it happens sorry. I plan to do a 10-15 gal batch twice a year. I do have the patience for a good lager. (I have multiple fermenters so if I get bored I will make a faster one to get me by until the lager is done).

Do you have a fridge you can lager in for extended periods? Something like the Centennial Blonde recipe on here is a great light beer for if you just want to whip something out. I try to keep 10 gallons lagering at all times. As soon as I take one out it's gone in like a week so it's nice to have something that's easy and quick and also a good summertime beer.

I am in the process of making a fermentation chamber roughly it will be a stand up freezer with a extension the total size is roughly 8 in Length and as wide as a standard freezer and tall as freezer.

Centennial blonnde is definitely a good beer to have on hand at all times. And if you keg, you could be drinking it in ten days.

Back