Help with Jolicoeur's Grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

Reaction score
I am hoping to build an apple grinder similar to Claude Jolicoeur's plans in his book, but I cannot find the aluminum end plates he uses to attach the wood grinding wheel. (see attached pix below). His were custom made for him by a friend, but it seems likle they should be available (or something similar). Anyone have any idea where I can get these? I need them with a 3/4 inch bore, but I doubt they need to be aluminum, oh, and set screws. Many thanks!

20-roue0.JPG

No clue how much something like that would cost, but I bet any small shop with a lathe could make it. I know of a shop in Maine that I've bought some backpacking stuff from. I don't know if he does custom orders but you could try contacting him. He's a character, but seems to know his stuff.

PM me if you would like his contact info. (I don't want to put up advertisements in the forums)

Like Pickled Pepper said, anyone halfway decent with a lathe should be able to make you a set.

Try machine shops as well as welding shops (that do welding, not somewhere like AirGas)

You could go to a store.. like Woodcraft.. if there is one in your area.. or any store that sells wood lathes. They would have a "faceplate" that generally fits a 1/2" arbor. Or, simply go online.. and look for a wood lathe faceplate.

You could go to a store.. like Woodcraft.. if there is one in your area.. or any store that sells wood lathes. They would have a "faceplate" that generally fits a 1/2" arbor. Or, simply go online.. and look for a wood lathe faceplate.

Excellent idea, HopSong!

All the wood lathe faceplates I've seen are threaded, rather than attached with a set screw, which is what I need to slide over the shaft, etc. You may be right about going to a welding shop and having some made or having them weld one onto my shaft in the right place. Just thought there may be some available out there. Thanks.

That would be relatively easy to make , as Pickled Pepper said a shop with a lathe will be able to make it. I have access to a lathe and I'm sure I could make it but it's not what I do and would take longer to make than worth it.
Look for machinists, post a Craigslist.
Good luck!

Back