Help with IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
I finally bit and got the Beersmith program for my computer last night after finding an all grain Founder Centennial Clone Recipe on this site. Well I entered everything in and tried to convert it over to Extract (not going all grain for a while based on having to move again in the near future). My problem is that I am having a hard time with the calcs and the amount of water and batch size. Can you all help to make sure I am not out in left field and my recipe will yield something close to what I am shooting for? Below is the all grain version:

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Batch Size: 5.5 Gallons
Boil Size: 7 Gallons
Efficiency: 72%

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.88%
IBU: 65.29
SRM: 10.45

Fermentables:
11lb - Pale 2-Row (62.7%)
2lb - Pale 2-Row (13.9%)
1.5lb - Cara-Pils (Dextrine Malt) (10.5%)
0.75lb - Munich - Light 10L (5.2%)
0.75lb - Carmel/Crystal 60L (5.2%)
0.35lb - Cara Munich (2.4%)

Hops and Schedule:
0.75oz - Magnum (60 Mins)
2oz - Centennial (15 Mins)
1oz - Centennial (10 Mins)
1oz - Centennial (5 mins)
3oz - Centennial (Dry Hop)

Mash Steps:
1) BIAB, Temp 153F, Time: 60 min, Amount 30qt

Yeast - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter - No
Form - Dry
Attenuation: 77%
Flocculation: High

Here is my conversion to extract:
Type: Extract
Batch Size (fermenter): 5 Gallons
Boil Size: 2.6 gal
Boil Time: 60 mins

Fermentables
9lbs 4.5oz Pale Liquid Extract (8 SRM)
1lb 10oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
5oz - Carmel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60 SRM)

Hops:
1oz Magnum - 60 mins
3oz Centennial - 15 mins
1.5oz Centennial - 10 mins
1.5oz Centennial - 5 mins
3oz Centennial - Dry Hop

Yeast: Nottingham (Danstar)

Does this seem right? This is my first time using beer smith and coverting a recipe, I am planning on grabbing my ingridients today or tomorrow and would love some feedback or course steerage! Thanks!

No, the boil size is bigger than your batch size. It should be the other way: boil larger than batch because water will evaporate during the 60 minutes.

Here is my conversion to extract:
Type: Extract
Batch Size (fermenter): 5 Gallons
Boil Size: 2.6 gal
Boil Time: 60 mins

Fermentables
9lbs 4.5oz Pale Liquid Extract (8 SRM)
1lb 10oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
5oz - Carmel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60 SRM)

Hops:
1oz Magnum - 60 mins
3oz Centennial - 15 mins
1.5oz Centennial - 10 mins
1.5oz Centennial - 5 mins
3oz Centennial - Dry Hop

Yeast: Nottingham (Danstar)

Does this seem right? This is my first time using beer smith and coverting a recipe, I am planning on grabbing my ingridients today or tomorrow and would love some feedback or course steerage! Thanks!

In general, 1 pound base grain = .75 pound light LME = .6 pound DME. You keep the specialty grains the same. You can put Munich malt in with the crystal malts.

So, the basic recipe has 13 pounds two-row. That is equal to 9.75 pounds light LME or 8 pounds DME.

So for the grain/malt:
9.75 pounds light LME
1.5lb - Cara-Pils (Dextrine Malt)
0.75lb - Munich - Light 10L
0.75lb - Carmel/Crystal 60L
0.35lb - Cara Munich

Now, I must say that I am not a huge fan of this grainbill, but I don't know where the recipe came from and what the goal is so I didn't make the changes I normally would. That's a direct conversion of your base recipe, but that doesn't make it a good recipe.

For the hops, you don't increase the late hops. You can increase the bittering hops, if you're boiling less than a full volume. But not the flavor/aroma hops.

So, for the hopping:
1 oz - Magnum (60 Mins)

What exactly is boil size? I thought it would be the amount I put in the kettle (usually start with 2.5 gallons to steep the specialty grains). Will that error completely fubar the recipe?

What exactly is boil size? I thought it would be the amount I put in the kettle (usually start with 2.5 gallons to steep the specialty grains). Will that error completely fubar the recipe?

Your boil size is the size of the boil, so if you steep the grains and then remove them and you start with 2.5 gallons and the grains absorb a gallon of the water, your boil size would be 1.5 gallons (or the amount of liquid you're actually starting the boil with).

In general, 1 pound base grain = .75 pound light LME = .6 pound DME. You keep the specialty grains the same. You can put Munich malt in with the crystal malts.

So, the basic recipe has 13 pounds two-row. That is equal to 9.75 pounds light LME or 8 pounds DME.

So for the grain/malt:
9.75 pounds light LME
1.5lb - Cara-Pils (Dextrine Malt)
0.75lb - Munich - Light 10L
0.75lb - Carmel/Crystal 60L
0.35lb - Cara Munich

Now, I must say that I am not a huge fan of this grainbill, but I don't know where the recipe came from and what the goal is so I didn't make the changes I normally would. That's a direct conversion of your base recipe, but that doesn't make it a good recipe.

For the hops, you don't increase the late hops. You can increase the bittering hops, if you're boiling less than a full volume. But not the flavor/aroma hops.

So, for the hopping:
1 oz - Magnum (60 Mins)

This is a Founders Centennial IPA Clone I found while searching this site, I love the Founders Centennial and really wanted to make this one so I was trying to follow suit. What would you change in the grain bill?

This is a Founders Centennial IPA Clone I found while searching this site, I love the Founders Centennial and really wanted to make this one so I was trying to follow suit. What would you change in the grain bill?

It's got way too much crystal malt in it, over 18%. I'd ditch the carapils, and consider lowering the cara/crystal 60L to 5% instead of a combined 8%. The Munich malt is ok.

I'd probably start over, with a good extract recipe, instead of trying to convert this questionable recipe.

I personally would probably knock that C-60 addition down to half a pound at the absolute most. That seems like a ton of carapils too. Going to have plenty of body, whereas I prefer a drier finish in an IPA.

I have had Founders Centennial and it does have a fair bit of malt to it, so the C-60 may be relatively on track. Either way, carpet bombing the beer with delicious Centennial is what makes that beer and what will make this one. It's all about how much malt backbone you want to go with it.

I don't really do extract so can't get specific but it's not uncommon to boil say 2.5 gallons for 60 minutes. Then top up to 5 gallons when you put it in the fermenter. It's a good work around for people who don't have the means to boil 7 gallons of wort. Just make sure your top up water is either a)boiled and cooled or b) some kind of RO or filtered water so you can prevent potential infection from anything in your tap water. You can add all your extract at the beginning or add half in the last ten minutes, whatever. But you do have to have extract in there to help get oils out of the hops. There's some literature out there that would say higher gravity wort extracts less oils from the hops (therefore increase your bittering addition to get the same IBU's), that's why some people will add say half the extract at the last ten minutes. THat and because boiling it for less time has some color effects (darker when boiled longer)

Also note, people have trouble to get a good mix with the wort and top up water and report way out of line OG readings as a result. If you do extract and put in the prescribed amount of extract in the set amount of water your OG will be within apoint or two of predicted.

That probably gave you more questions than it was helpful, sorry. And ps. I'd cut out the carapils, it's way too much and not neccessary imo. oh yeah, and all this will get easier so have fun brewing!

Thanks for the responses, I have the ingredients and I dialed back a littl ebit here and there but have plenty of hops for this one. I was trusting that the rescipe was good since I am a NOOB and don't know the differences yet (still reading and learning about what does what in the brew). I will let you know how it all shakes out in the end, and post the extract recipe when I am confident that it worked.

For the BIAB stuff... would that change this recipe or would it just follow an all grain recipe? Might make that leap next but I will hold off for a little bit!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back