Help with German Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flywheel

Reaction score
I asked this in a different thread, but I decided I should just start my own.

I am going to brew NB's German Alt, but I have a few questions.

Here's the recipie:
Specialty Grains
-1 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich II

Fermentables
-6 lbs. NB Munich Malt Syrup
-1 lbs. Amber Dry Malt Extract

Boil Additions
-1 oz. Perle (60 min)
-1 oz. Perle (45 min)
-1 oz. Spalt (15 min)

Wyeast 1007

I want to keep this as in style as I can and have heard that with the partial boil on this the IBUs can be a little low and the beer should be dried out somewhat.

I will be doing a 2.5 gal boil. To help with IBUs, would it be better to put the DME in @ @60 and the LME in @ 20? Any idea on how that would up the IBUs? Does any of the software out there account for late extract addition? With the late addition, should I stop the timer until it gets back to a full boil? Adding 6lbs of LME will stop the boil even if I warm it up with my hot tap water, IME.

My other option would be to switch the LME for 5# DME and add 3#DME @ 60 and 3@20.

Which would be the better way to go to get this more "on-style" for IBUs with my partial boil of 2.5 gal?

To help dry it out, I have heard, but never tried, that you can add 1# of 2-row to the steeping grains, keep it at 150 for 30min to help the extract convert and help the beer to dry a little bit more (an issue with extract brews). Any truth to this? Or would it be better to switch to lighter extract and get color/flavor from more steeping grains?

Thanks!

I don't think there is a problem with the recipe made with NB's instructions. Two oz of Perle in the fist 45 minutes is going to be bitter. I would just add the DME at 15 if I changed it at all.

You can mash in a grain bag. You could drop the DME and use a pound of pale malt and a half pound of cara munich. I don't think that's enough to dry it out even if you mashed it at 145F. To dry it out you will need to add sugar. I don't think it will be necessary.

Back