help with first kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7nut12

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first home brew kit and learn the ropes. Was considering getting one of the kits from a local shop or somewhere online. Yesterday I ran across this posting on craigslist not too far from me. Does this look like a legit deal? http://pensacola.craigslist.org/for/4353050449.html

Thanks for any help. Just trying to figure out which direction I should go to get started.

It looks like the same price you'd pay for brand new stuff, and I bet you could get it for even less.

You don't need to buy bottles- just buy some commercial beer with pry-off tops and drink it and save the bottles.

The carboys can be expensive- but you don't need a 5 gallon carboy anyway.

I'd probably skip that deal, and go with this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html which even includes the ingredients for your first beer.

With the above kit, all you'd need to add would be a hydrometer.

I agree with Yooper, you are paying about the same price as a brand new kit. My big issue with that setup is that its all glass. if you are new to the hobby, I would stick to plastic buckets.

Do a search for shattered carboys and you will see what I mean.

Good luck and welcome to the obsession.

** Update **

I took another look at the Northern Brewer fit for $80 (which includes ingredients for your first batch), and I think its a better deal especially if you add in the Mad Brewers upgrade for $40 - which is STILL less than what this guy is asking

Thanks for the help! I have another question. I see that some kits come with an additional carboy for secondary fermentations at little additional cost. Figured it might be good to have for the future. Just wondering if I should get a 5 or 6 gallon better bottle for the secondary. I have heard 5 gal is better for secondary because of the decrease head space, but if I was wanting to add fruit to the secondary I would want the additional space because there will be another fermentation correct? If so the 6 gallon sounds like a better option, right?

Thanks for the help! I have another question. I see that some kits come with an additional carboy for secondary fermentations at little additional cost. Figured it might be good to have for the future. Just wondering if I should get a 5 or 6 gallon better bottle for the secondary. I have heard 5 gal is better for secondary because of the decrease head space, but if I was wanting to add fruit to the secondary I would want the additional space because there will be another fermentation correct? If so the 6 gallon sounds like a better option, right?

There is a lot of discussion here about whether secondary fermentation is necessary or not. You might want to search here for that topic before deciding if or what kind of secondary fermenter to buy at this stage. You don't need one to get started. Just leave it in the primary for the total fermentation time.

Latest posts

Back