Help with ESB please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick604

Reaction score
Greetings! I have been using the all grain process for about a year now, and homebrewing using DME's for a few years. I added a keg system for my brews about 6 months ago, and although I have had some really stellar results with the keg and the AG process, I just tapped an ESB that has me scratching my head.

The beer is clear, and the color is marvelous for the style. The aroma is slightly hoppy. The taste though is killing me. It starts out with a slightly fruity flavor on the front of the tongue, and ends up a bit sour on the back of the tongue.

This particular brew spent some extra time in the carboy because the kegerator was full. Otherwise the process went well, I hit all my target numbers and had no issues on brew day. The recipe I developed in Beersmith is listed below. I would be happy to hear where you think the wheels fell off the bus! Thanks!

10 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Crystal 40
1/2 lbs wheat malt
.5 oz US Goldings FWH
1.5 oz US Goldings (E. Kent not available) 4.5% at 60 min
1 oz Fuggles 15 min
1 oz Fuggles 2 min
WLP 023 - Burton Ale Yeast w/ 2 liter starter
5.2 Ph and Irish Moss, clarified with gelatin
Yield = 5 gallons
Alcohol = 5.4%
Single Infusion, single batch sparge

Fermentation was at 70degrees F. Time in secondary was about 2 months as I did not have an available keg or space in the fridge.

Okay guys, and girls, give it to me straight . . . where did I most likely screw up with this one.

Is the sour hint possibly more like an astringant bitter from hops and your brewing water? I tend to get water related flavors in the aftertaste, like astringency.

What water did you use??

You know, I think I have the same off flavor with a partial mash kit I did (Midwest's Boston Red). It sort of reminds me of cranberry juice. Not absolutely awful, but not remotely like what the beer should taste like. I attributed it to acetaldehyde, though I really don't know. Haven't had it happen again (yet) so I've just tried to be a touch more vigilant about sanitation and leaving things on the yeast cake longer if they smell funky. ;)

So in other words, don't have an answer, but I swear I know the taste!

If your hops are anything like the hops I bought last fall and this, then my guess is that the hops are at least partially responsible. Your recipe has more crystal than I like (I use 8 oz crystal 55), but it certainly isn't excessive. The crystal combined with the wheat and the fermentation temperature could account for the fruitiness.
I had to throw away most of the EKG I bought last fall because they were so terrible, and the USG that I bought this fall aren't much better. The flavor and aroma are pretty much non existent, and every brew ends up with a slightly sour aftertaste. It could be something other than the hops, but I doubt it. I made an APA a few months ago, and that turned out fine.

-a.

Wheat can cause a slightly tart finish. ESB can have a slightly bitter finish...It's fruity then it's bitter/tart. I'd say you might have created an ESB.

Its possible you left it in the secondary too long and the tartness is an other worldly entity you did not want in your beer.

Perhaps you are just experiencing yeast bite. How long has the beer been in the keg? The yeast might need a little time to settle.

I would agree with the other poster. Sometimes hops can make or break a beer. That is why I am not a supporter of dry hopping a beer unless the date of the hops can be verified to be extremely fresh.

AZSCOOB - The water was my local tap water, which is usually fine for heavier beers. I really have to get a sample analyzed so I can adjust as needed for different styles. Water chemistry should be my next leap forward in brewing technology.

OldWolrd - I was expecting a slightly bitter taste, but not fruity. Do you think that small amount could have such a heavy influence? I suppose it is also possible that I let it sit too long and some freeloading bacteria jumped in, but I wasn't too worried about that because I figured the alcohol content in the beer would keep it safe. Perhaps not?

ajf - I hadn't considered hop as part of the fruity / sour taste, thanks for your thoughts, now I will have to go back to my hops and check them out.

Thanks everyone for your help. You have given me some things to think about before I make my next batch.

I think I may have isolated the fruity/sour taste to the yeast strain. I clarified with gelatin and let sit in the fridge for a couple of days, then transferred to a new keg, leaving behind a good bit of yeast. The fruity/sour taste is still present, but not quite a pronounced. I went back to the white labs website and the strain I used, Burton WLP023, seems to be known for a residual fruitiness.

The beer is quite drinkable, but not exactly what I had in mind when creating the recipe. I think next time I may go for a different strain that has a more neutral flavor.

So, what are your thoughts? I am beginning to realize the yeast strain has a much greater influence on the beer than perhaps I have given it credit for. Am I on the right track here?

Patrick604 said:
I am beginning to realize the yeast strain has a much greater influence on the beer than perhaps I have given it credit for. Am I on the right track here?

you are absolutely on the right track. I've been discovering the same thing recently, having moved from mostly dry yeasts to the more varied world of liquid. The flavor impact is huge, especially on non-"west coast" styles b/c the hops don't dominate many other styles.

I was listening to a Jamil Show podcast yesterday where he said exactly this about yeast & flavor.

Latest posts

Back