Help with Copper Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccumath

Reaction score
Okay guys, I am still VERY new at "working" with recipes, and calculating, and whatnot. So, I am asking for your help. A friend of mine sent me this recipe, and I was wondering if you could help me convert it to all grain. If there is a way other than Beersmith (which I guess is going to have to be my next investment) to convert this recipe, please help me understand it, as in the end, that will be more helpful in the future.

Also, I am having difficulty determining what the "Light roast" is in this recipe. There are quite a few different "light roasts", correct?

Copper Red IPA

4 lb. Munich lme
3 lb. Pale liquid extract
1 lb. American crystal 40L
8 oz. Victory malt
4 oz. Light roast

Boil
60 min. 1 oz. Cascade
20 min. .5 oz. Cascade & 1 oz. Centennial
5 min. .5 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Centennial, & .5 tsp. Irish moss
Pitch wyeast 1187 ring wood ale

Primary ferment for 10 days then transfer to your secondary and dry hop with 1 oz. cascade. Leave in secondary for 14 days. Bottle and age for 14 days. The beer was kept at 68 degrees throughout fermentation and bottle aging.

Original gravity 1.052 - 1.060
Final gravity 1.013 - 1.015

This was all the information I recieved, and all the information that was given, so I will have to try it with what I have (like AA units for the hops). I usually hit ~70% efficiency +/- 3% with my all grain batches.

Thanks for your help guys, it is greatly appreciated! Also, if you recommend any changes, I am open ears!

Ryan M.

So with what you posted, is this the light roast that the recipe calls for? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I would like to get this right/very close the first time.

Thanks for you help guys, its appreciated!

Ryan M.

This is pretty close to my Red IPA, but mine has some chocolate malt for a deeper red. Mine didn't turn red until it was in the bottle for a month or so. Let us know how it turns out.

This is pretty close to my Red IPA, but mine has some chocolate malt for a deeper red. Mine didn't turn red until it was in the bottle for a month or so. Let us know how it turns out.

Your Red IPA, was that compared to the extract recipe I posted, or the All-grain recipe posted by dmckean? Just curious, and making sure.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan M.

Here's mine...it's pretty damn good. The chocolate malt might have made it a little darker than you're looking for, but i really like it.

I added some pics too. All I have is a bad camera picture. It is a lot more red than the picture shows, but when you hold it up to the light it is a very nice ruby. Maybe some whirfloc would help it clear up some and shine more red. Anyways here you go...

Boil Size: 2.82 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.60 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 16.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 75.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 12.5%
8.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 5 6.3 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.1 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 6 27.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop 8 20.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11

Dry hop with 1oz of Columbus for 7 days.

photo116.JPG

photo_2_22.JPG

It dawned on me that munich malt extract is only 60% munich malt. So the recipe should be:

6 lbs 2 row US
3.5 lb Munich Malt
1 lb crystal 40
8 oz victory malt
4 oz light roast
4 oz carapils

Here is the latest update to the recipe I had in mind. Let me know what you guys think, any changes you would make, etc.

Copper Red IPA

5.5 gallons
1.055 OG
1.016 FG
48 IBU
16L•
~68% Efficiency

7 lbs 2 row US
3.5 lb Munich Malt
1 lb crystal 40
8 oz victory malt
4 oz light roast
4 oz carapils

Dough in with 3.9 gallons of 166 degree water for 60 minutes (152 degree mash temp). Batch sparge with 4.5 gallons of 178 degree water.

Boil
60 min. 1 oz. Cascade
20 min. .5 oz. Cascade & 1 oz. Centennial
5 min. .5 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Centennial

Pitch 1L starter of Wyeast 1187 Ring Wood Ale

Primary ferment at 68 degrees for 10 days then transfer to secondary and dry hop with 1 oz. cascade. Leave in secondary for 14 days. Bottle and age for at least 14 days.

Thanks guys!

Ryan M.

Centennial has a cleaner bitterness @ 60 mins than cascade IMO, so I would put the centennial @ the 60 min, and move the cascade to flameout, or 20 min and adjust to keep your IBUs in line.

Just my opinion though, I know some people make IPAs with all cascade, but I think centennial @ 60 is a great crisp and clean bitterness.

Also, and I'm not sure here, but at 48 IBUs - that might be a lot of munich and crystal 40. Might be a lot of body and sweetness for that amount of bitterness. What does everyone else think?

Keep the feedback coming please!

Pdeezy said:
Also, and I'm not sure here, but at 48 IBUs - that might be a lot of munich and crystal 40. Might be a lot of body and sweetness for that amount of bitterness. What does everyone else think?

So a little more hops for balance may be in order? I had kinda wondered the same thing, especially when my iPod software kicked out a FG of 1.016. Seems like it would be pretty sweet.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated! This is one of the first APA that I will have brewed, so just trying to get a good feel for what it should consist of.

Thanks guys!

Ryan

Just punched this recipe into Beersmith, appears that Beersmith calculates IBU's at 55. Not sure why the large difference, both software profiles use Tinseth measurement.

Back