Help With Bottling Beer I Brewed 5 Months Ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibuboats91

Reaction score
Hey everyone I brewed a Midwest Brewing irish red ale kit back in mid January and haven't had time to bottle it. I want to bottle it now and am wondering if it will still be okay to drink? Do I need to add more yeast? If so, do I add it to secondary and let it sit awhile or what? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone I brewed a Midwest Brewing irish red ale kit back in mid January and haven't had time to bottle it. I want to bottle it now and am wondering if it is still okay to bottle? Do I need to add more yeast? If so, do I add it to secondary and let it sit awhile or what? Thanks in advance!

It's fine to bottle it now. You don't have to add yeast or anything- just dissolve your priming sugar into some boiling water and add that to the bottling bucket and then rack the beer into it and proceed with bottling.

adding a little fresh yeast isn't a bad idea. you don't need much, 1/5 of a pack should do it. rehydrate it and add to the bottling bucket once it's halfway full. you don't want to add it before racking, because that's when you add the priming sugar and you don't want to pitch yeast directly into priming sugar only.

will it be ok to drink? depends on your sanitation and how much oxygen it was exposed to. nothing bad will be living in there. only question is how tasty it will be. could be bad, or could be even better. only your tastebuds can tell you.

Latest posts

Back