Help with Belgian IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on what you want. If you want a raging ***** type of belgian IPA you need to up the bittering hops a little to closer to 50. But if you want a Houblon Chouffe-like belgian IPA flavor, with a little more subdued hops but more belgian flavor, your hop schedule is fine. I made a belgian IPA with a lot of citra and the citra overpowered the belgian flavor, and it resulted in a weird combination. I would err on the side of too little IBUs if you want the belgian flavor to shine.
As a side note, I have used S-33 before and it only produced mild belgian flavors. If you're really interested in big bielgian aroma and flavor, i would suggest getting some liquid yeast like white labs 500 or 550.

I was going to experiment and dryhop a gallon of my recent trippel in order to "test the variables" for Belgian IPAs. Instead, yesterday, I brewed something similar to your recipe using a cake from 2 wlp500s. Really hoping to impart that belgiany taste to mesh with a good amount of aromatic hops.

Back