Help with Baltic porter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pr0pheT

Reaction score
Hello,

I plan to make a Baltic porter. I want to ferment it with w34/70 @65F. Right now I have an amber lager (1.044ish gravity) fermenting with this strain, so the question is can I dump the porter on the yeast cake after my amber lager is finished fermenting. I would move the amber lager to secondary the same day as I would brew the porter. Or would it be better if I just used new w34/70 to do the job ? If so how many packets should I get ?

The recipe for the baltic porter:

Batch size: 4 gallons
OG: 1,072
FG: 1,017
ABV: 7,3
IBU: 25-30ish

Munich 60%
Pilsner 29,1%
Crystal Medium 3,1%
Simpsons DRC crystal malt 3,1%
Carafa special 2 - 3,1%
Chocolate rye 1,6%

DME if I miss my OG by too much, not sure about my efficiency when doing higher OG beers

Hallertau magnum for bittering, might add some Styrian goldings at 10min not sure yet.

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

I plan to make a Baltic porter. I want to ferment it with w34/70 @65F. Right now I have an amber lager (1.044ish gravity) fermenting with this strain, so the question is can I dump the porter on the yeast cake after my amber lager is finished fermenting. I would move the amber lager to secondary the same day as I would brew the porter. Or would it be better if I just used new w34/70 to do the job ? If so how many packets should I get ?

The recipe for the baltic porter:

Batch size: 4 gallons
OG: 1,072
FG: 1,017
ABV: 7,3
IBU: 25-30ish

Munich 60%
Pilsner 29,1%
Crystal Medium 3,1%
Simpsons DRC crystal malt 3,1%
Carafa special 2 - 3,1%
Chocolate rye 1,6%

DME if I miss my OG by too much, not sure about my efficiency when doing higher OG beers

Hallertau magnum for bittering, might add some Styrian goldings at 10min not sure yet.

Thanks for any help.
I think dumping it on the yeast cake would work great

You can use the calculator at Mr. Malty or similar to calculate how much slurry to use. The whole cake might be overkill, but you'll need a lot of yeast, so using slurry rather than several packs should be the way to go, especially if you ferment a little cooler.

Back