Help with APA hopping scheme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onkeltuka

Reaction score
Hi

I'm gonna brew a 1.060 OG APA next weekend. I would love to try a really aromatic and strong hop profile, like Founders All-Day IPA or BrewDog PunkIPA. IBU's maybe around 50, a little under 1 BU/GU- ratio. Bitterness is secondary to aroma.

So I would need help on how to achieve that. I'm doing a full-volume BIAB mash. I have 4oz. each of Citra, Amarillo and Willamette (pellets). I aim to have 8 gallons to fermenter.

My initial plan was to start with an oz. of Citra going in right after mash-out, so in effect that's FWH,yes? Then 3-quarters of an oz. each of Amarillo and Willamette at 5 mins. left of boil, another 3-quarters of an oz. each of all three at flame-out which I would let simmer there for 15 minutes befores chilling. Then after first week of fermentation half oz. of each as dry-hops in a bag for week in the bucket, before bottling.

Any suggestions?

If you want that big aroma like Punk you should use an ounce of each in the dry hop. I have a recipe for Punk IPA that uses around 70g in the boil and then 90g in the dry hopping. And thats just for 5 gallons. For 8 gallons I think you could easily go with 40-50g of each hop for the dry hopping.

I would also suggest dropping your wort temp below 190 degrees before adding your flameout hops and beginning the hopstand. I find I get stronger aroma when I start between 190 and 180 degrees.

I would also suggest dropping your wort temp below 190 degrees before adding your flameout hops and beginning the hopstand. I find I get stronger aroma when I start between 190 and 180 degrees.

Totally Agree with Ong, I do alot of APA's with BIAB and i always had best results with dropping Temp to the 180-190 range, Whirlpool with a spoon or pump if you have the set up for at least 15 minutes.

Agree with the above .. hop stand / whirlpool when chilled to 180 in place of the flame out hops.

Sound like a GREAT beer. Be sure and report back.

OK, this one is bottled and I just had a couple of pints of it. I ended dry-hopping with 50 grams (2 oz.) of Willamette,Citra, Amarillo (about 17 grams of each), which I added after 6 days of fermentation in a bag weighed with some marbles. The beer tastes quite nice, light and really sessionable,the amount of citrus is really amazing. The FWH really gives a strong but not harsh bitterness that I like. The dry hops could have easily been twice the amount, at least, without being excessive. 6 percent or so of rye malt seems to support really well the summery lightness and dryness, although it's not so much that you would know there's rye in it without reading the recipe.

Back