Help with American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghosteh

Reaction score
This is a recipe that I'm working on. I wanted to do something a little more simple this time, and this is what I came up with:

9# Maris Otter
.5# Dextrine/CaraPils
.5# Special B

3.5g each Mosaic and Nelson @ 90 and 45
1oz each Mosaic and Nelson @ 5
1oz Mosaic and .5 oz Nelson dryhop for 7 days

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/534409/shrapnel-american-pale-ale

I figured it'd be light and sessionable, but still maintain a nice hop presence and aroma. Also, I'm thinking it might be nice to add a little orange peel and maybe a single vanilla bean to secondary with the dryhops. Thoughts?

The 90 & 45 minute additions would be more bittering than flavor. For flavor, 20 & 15 or so would be better. But a half ounce or so would give a nice bittering.

Now this is just my opinion but using Nelson and Mosaic at 90 minutes is waste. They are such good hops and expensive Id use a solid bittering hop for the 90...Warrior or Columbus. Id also drop the 45 and use what you had for the 90 and 45 and drop them in at 10 or 5. Just my thought. I love Nelson and Mosaic and love when they shine through.

Why a 90 min boil? MO is a nicely modified barley kilned high enough to eliminate high DMS worries. For my pales I just use base malt (92%) and about 6% Crystal 60. I also use 2% acid malt for pH (about 3oz with your grain bill).

The 90 minute boil is just something I have gotten used to with doing pilsner-based brews. I start off with a little extra and let it boil, figuring it can't hurt. I could reduce it to 60 minutes and do a more standard hop additions. I normally do a very small bittering charge, and rely on bigger charges every 5m from 20-0.

For this one, I wanted to keep the grain bill simple. Same with the hops. Initially, I'd figured on just bittering with the 90 and 45 minute additions and planned on hop-bursting the last 20m. However, I was wondering what a single 5 minute addition would do and thought about trying that this time.

What about Centennial for bittering? I have been thinking about bittering with Centennial and keeping late-additions as Mosaic and Nelson. I have some Mosaic on hand still from a Mosaic/Cascade/Centennial IPA (with Trappist yeast) I did.

Also, I wanted to thank everyone that has taken the time to post. I appreciate the input and help! :rockin:

60 minute boil is fine
special B is not a flavor I want in my APAs I'd change that to crystal 40 or remove it altogether

You need way more hops late, something like 4-6oz in the last 15 minutes and 3 oz for the dry hop

With 90% Maris Otter and 5% special B, it won't be an American Pale Ale.

Funny how in the BeerSmith recipe you linked to, the name is American Pale Ale, yet he calls the style a Blonde Ale. Really it's neither, but unless you're entering a BJCP competition, that just symantecs. Could be a tasty beer. If it looks good to you, brew the original recipe before making too many changes. After that, you can adjust it to your taste. That's the only way to really learn what different ingredients and amounts contribute.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/536023/shrapnel-american-pale-ale-2

I altered the hop additions some. Have the following hops lying around:

Columbus, Horizon, Mosaic, Centennial, Cascade, Nelson

I'm thinking since it's a 90 minute addition, the Centennial would work to bitter with. I also changed it to hop bursting at 1:1 ratio @ 10-5-0. I normally do @ 20 and 15 as well, but trying to stay more simple with grains and additions this time. Any thoughts on the new update? I'll be brewing this tomorrow, starter tonight.

Just kegged a Belgian pale ale using Trappist yeast, Mosaic and Horizon hops. Smelled yummy and has been fermenting for two months now @ 65.

Great choice with Centennial, I love that hop.

I am very curious to hear how your Belgian turns out with Mosaic...I am tinkering around with the idea of using Mosaic in one.

I did an IPA with Trappist yeast, Centennial, Mosaic, and Cascade before that and it turned out well. Belgian-ish, but not very bitter. Still had a nice, noticeable Mosaic feel to it.

Special B is an odd choice and quite potent. If you really want it, it'd cut that dosage quite a bit. Maybe replace some of it with c40.

I already have the grains for this batch. I'd thought about adding more Maris Otter or cutting the Carapils and Special B to .25# next time. It's a cheap grain bill, so I'll most likely pick up another batch of it and run it with different hops. I need to do something with this Columbus. I really want to do a Chinook/Sorachi Ace beer, too. Would .25# be more correct for using it? I'm at 90/5/5 grain percentages. 95/2.5/2.5?

The idea behind the Special B was that I read Arrogant Bastard is pale malt, Special B, and Chinook. More hops and grain. So this was my Arrogant Bastard inspired pale ale (with different hops) attempt. Something simple, but in your face.

Ok cool. You know what you're getting into then. The title is just misleading then.

Also, if I were to use Crystal 40 or something. How much would be recommended? I'll probably make another batch of this with an updated grain bill and different (or same) hops to taste the difference. So, hit me! Also, feel free to post any ideas for hops, grains, recipes, etc. that anyone might have!

I never use more than 1/2lb of crystal in my PM beers. More base malts would be good, like Marris Otter or two-row from Weyermann.

Also, if I were to use Crystal 40 or something. How much would be recommended? I'll probably make another batch of this with an updated grain bill and different (or same) hops to taste the difference. So, hit me! Also, feel free to post any ideas for hops, grains, recipes, etc. that anyone might have!

I make my simple APA with marris otter and about 2.5% crystal 60 and 2.5% crystal 20. I've used 5% crystal 40 and I feel I get a little more depth of flavor with the 60 and 20 combo. ymmv.

My APA grain bill usually looks like:

8# MO or something like Crisp Pale Ale
2# Vienna
6-10 oz C40 or C60, depending on what I have

I usually just do a single hop, sort of a glorified SMaSH. I don't do a bittering charge unless my flavor hops are of the low AA variety. Usually target about 40 IBU. I do big additions at 15 or 10, 5, 0 with a 20 minute steep, and at the start of the chiller. Usually about 6 oz of hops altogether. Comes out well balanced with a good feel of what the hop used is all about.

My APA grain bill usually looks like:

8# MO or something like Crisp Pale Ale
2# Vienna
6-10 oz C40 or C60, depending on what I have

I usually just do a single hop, sort of a glorified SMaSH. I don't do a bittering charge unless my flavor hops are of the low AA variety. Usually target about 40 IBU. I do big additions at 15 or 10, 5, 0 with a 20 minute steep, and at the start of the chiller. Usually about 6 oz of hops altogether. Comes out well balanced with a good feel of what the hop used is all about.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/536807/shrapnel-american-pale-ale-4

Something like that? :ban:

Yup, minus the dry hops. I usually reserve dry hopping for IPA's, where it's absolutely necessary (IMO) for the proper hop punch. An APA is normally something I brew to get to the tap quickly, so any unnecessary steps are eschewed.

Also, I like the choice in yeast. 1272/WLP051 is quickly becoming my favorite American style yeast.

:off:

On that note, has anyone used WLP041 Pacific Ale, and share experience/results? I'm thinking of trying it in an amber sometime soon.

I haven't used it before. And I'm excited about this WLP051. I bought it for a raspberry (honey*) wheat that I was gonna make for a friend's wife, but am thinking I might use the WLP500 Trappist yeast in that one now. Not sure. Maknig a big starter of the WLP051 tonight for this beer and the wheat. Be interested to hear about the WLP041, too!

I really liked WLP002 in the past, and if WLP041 is more fruity. That could be something fun to use. What were you thinking for it?

I brewed this last night. Have another batch I'd like to try, and have started to finalize what I think the recipe will be. Ended up adding equal amount (2.5%) of melanoidin/aromatic malt. Also, gonna make a side-by-side batch with all Mosaic and Nelson, one with Centennial/Mosaic/Nelson, and one with Horizon/Mosaic/Nelson. All equal amounts.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/539854/shrapnel-american-pale-ale-7

Thoughts?

This has been fermenting since 8/29. Smells good, and should be moving to cold crash soon! Pictures coming soon.

Back