Help with a yeast starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm1477

Reaction score
I need a little help here.

I just smacked my smack pack from Wyeast. I also just realized that I don't have any DME to make a starter for it. It says to put it in a starter in 3 hours. The LHBS is closed at this point and I'm too busy handing out candy to go anyway. Am I completely up a creek here, or is there something else I can do? I was planning on brewing on Sunday afternoon if that helps.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Storm

How many gallons of brew are you making? If it's 5 or less, and you are brewing tomorrow, just pitch what you have and you should be fine... If you are brewing tonight, you will be fine as well. It will be a bit shy for 10 gallons, but if you are using good sanitation, you should still be ok with the volume you have.

I do starters all the time, but I usually start them 3 to 4 days before the brew with a small volume of wort, and add wort as the ferment gets rolling.

What are you brewing? does it call for a large starter? High gravity? AG or extract?

I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of a red ale extract kit that I got from Midwest. This is the first time that I have used liquid yeast and am a little uncertain. I was planning on brewing about 40 hours from now.

SG 1.044 (assuming that's not a high SG)
FG 1.010

Thanks for the help Seabee.

By the way, my grandpa was a Seabee in WWII.

Back