Help with a yeast starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyW

Reaction score
I attempted my first yeast started recently and decided to throw it away because I was not confident with the results. There was very little bubbling, and no signs of any foam on top or anything?

Is it possible the yeast was still okay?

In a hurry I pitched a single white labs dry english ale into a 1.096 SG imp. stout and I am worried it wont be enough.

Suggestions?

It was probably OK....starter don't bubble/krausen as vigorously as the real deal....was the starter cloudy? (from suspended yeast), was there a layer on the bottle of the vessel? (flocculated yeast).

There was a layer on the bottom.

I pitched the yeast yesterday - Is there any reason I couldn't add another tube tomorrow?

Kids, you all gotta stop tossing stuff out because YOU don't have confidence of the yeast, ESPECIALLY if you are going by something superfluous like bubbles.

Is the only way you are diagnosing your starters as being dead because of lack of bubbles? WHat bubbles? airlock? I never get bubbles, in fact I get very little "activity" with starters at all. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you declared your yeast dead based on the wrong criteria...

In fact I always question the idea that yeast dies, unless we put it in boiling wort, or that we get "bad" yeast, I've found that more often than not the person who is declaring the yeast dead is using poor criteria to determine it, like not taking a hydro reading or going by airlock activity alone, or thinking that their wyyeast smack pack has to inflate (it says right on the website that it doesn't.)

It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil if you are using tinfoil, you aren't getting bibbling anyway,) or if you see a krauzen. In fact starter fermentation are some of the fastest or slowest but most importantly, the most boring fermentations out there. Usually it's done withing a few hours of yeast pitch...usually overnight when we are sleeping, and the starter looks like nothing ever happened...except for the little band at the bottom. Or it can take awhile...but either way there's often no "activity" whatsoever....

I usually run my stirplate for the first 24 hours, then shut it down, if you are spinning your starter it is really hard to get a krausen to form anyway, since it's all spinning, and there's often a head of foam on it from the movement.

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

This is a chilled sample so it's flocculated, but even with an unchilled sample you should see a band of yeast at the bottom. Here's an unchilled version

starter.jpg

Same thing, a band.

As it is I've only ever seen two or three krausens actually on my starter (one blew off a bunch of krausen and knocked the tinfoil off the flask,) and the evidence of one on the flask at the "waterline" once. But I've never not had a starter take off.

Look for the yeast at the bottom, don't worry what it looks like on top.

If you have yeast on the bottom....that's all you really need.

You dumped for no reason...next time you got a question, post BEFORE you dump. ;)

oops, I had a nice thick band at the bottom. Is it okay to pitch more yeast on day 3 of the primary?

Yep. I am new to this too and have only 2 starters under my belt. I wondered the same thing by the way they looked but both worked great. My last one had the airlock going at 15 bpm (bubbles per minute) at the 8 hr mark.
It was probably fine.

Just brewed this weekend with my first starter, I was worried about the same thing OP was worried about. I used tin foil on a growler (brown bottle) so I didnt see much activity but did have the band, so I pitched it anyway....24 hours later this is what i found.

http://qik.com/video/14015811

Ive never gotten that active of fermentation, its just pouring out of the airlock from the 6 G better bottle.

From what I have read and used so far, 1 qt water with 3 oz (in weight) of DME. So you can adjust it up and down from there depending on how big of a starter you want. They say you want to create a starter gravity of about 1.040. Not too strong and not too weak. The first time I used the above ratio I hit at about 1.038 (close enough). You have a really high gravity beer though so at this point I might just rehydrate 1.5 - 2 packs 11g size of dry yeast and get it in there.
I see you put a liquid in so maybe one pack of dry will give you enough cells to get it going. I think one vial is a bit short.

I have my new starter going, I will pitch it in the morning.

Thanks for all the advice.

Pitched the new started before bed and woke up to a vigorous fermentation, a bubble a second if not more.

Good thing you pitched that starter on top of it! In my experience, that vigorous fermentation would have quit pretty soon and you'll end up with a FG of like 1037 or something ridiculous.

Pitching more yeast after 3 days may or may not help, the yeast will have multiplied (and created esters/off flavors from underpitching) by that time. You may want to run to the LHBS and pick up a couple packages of S-04 and drop that in, it's the same as the English Dry strain (WLP007).

If the yeast are too stressed they also may not get that beer down as far as you expect it to, as stated above I'd pitch a couple packets of S-04.

I was able to get some more yeast 1 day later, not the 3 days I had thought previously.

So I am thinking it will be fine.

Danny - Well, at least you learned a valuable lesson! Next time to make standard ale starter:

3/4 cup of DME (use more if it is all cakey and has absorbed moisture....i.e. not fluffy) and 1 L water. Boil for 10-15 minutes, cool and add to sanitized container (most people use an Erlenmeyer flask, so they can boil the wort and sanitize the container at the same time).
Pitch your vial/smack pack (sanitize the yeast package and scissors).
Cover the container with the cooled yeast with aluminum foil (sanitized if you must), you're wasting an airlock for a starter.
After 18-36 hours (depending on what is convenient to you) you can either 1) pitch the whole starter in the wort, or 2) crash cool the starter overnight in the fridge, then decant, then let the slurry warm up, and pitch only the flocculated slurry (the band)

Whenever transferring yeast (pitching/saving yeast cakes), I wipe the rim of the containers with a rubbing alcohol-soaked paper towel. Oh yeah, and don't sneeze or breath on the yeast....it doesn't like that, and its rude. :D

Okay, where to begin. This is certainly a first.

Came home today, excited to check on the beer. Found the lid BLOWN OFF my ale pale sitting 5 feet away. Got stuff on 2 different walls and all over the ceiling.

I think its a pain getting those damn lids off when I am trying, has ANYONE every had one blow off?

How can I keep my airlock from clogging on big beers? Does a blow-off tube work better in a car boy for primary.

I am still in shock...

Sounds awesome. Sorry about the loss of beer to your explosion, but glad to hear that you have some happy yeast :)

I would roll with it (with your fingers crossed of course).

But I lmao reading your post. Solution: don't put as much wort in the fermenter! How big is the ale pale and how many gal wort did you have in it?

Then again, that extra shot of yeast prolly really surprised that beer.

Just your standard 5 gal in 6.5 gal ale pale.

I am hope it will be fine. I have not had a bad batch yet so we will see.

Well, you are brewing a huge beer (1.096), so that can happen if you don't have control over the fermentation temp. And it sounds like your fermenter was just sitting in your living room or something.

Keeping the temp to ~67 F (actual wort temperature) as the krausen builds will help a lot. But for a beer like this you would have to set your fridge at 60 F or probably lower to maintain that ferm. temp. When the krausen starts to fall back into the beer stop climate control and let 'er go (up to 78 F, if its a Belgium then let it go up to >90 F) to finish out fermentation to a nice FG.

Back