Help with a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
I originally posted this on the recipe page and didn't get a lot of response so I will try here. I am looking for help in building an all grain recipe with the hops I have on hand. Will buy the grains needed. Have only done kits so far that already had the recipe so I need some help building a recipe. I know there is a lot of great deal of knowledge on here so any help is appreciated. Not picky about the style, just something that looks good enough to interest me. Thanks!

Hops on hand:
Galaxy - 4 oz
Cluster - 1 oz
Sorachi Ace - 1 oz
Simcoe - 2 oz
Citra - 1 oz
Amarillo - 2 oz
Apollo - 2 oz
Nelson Sauvin - 5 oz
Cascade - 2 oz

You might not be getting much traffic because that's a pretty broad question. Maybe if you narrow it down a bit - with mostly american style hops I'd say APA, IPA, DIPA, American wheat - what do you want to drink?

Like I said, I'm not too picky about the style. Just looking for others ideas that they would do and I will see what sounds good/fun to make. These were given to me by a friend that was moving and didn't want to take them with him since he won't be brewing for a while.

I make a light blonde ale with 3 pounds of base malt, 2 row or pale ale or maris otter, 2 pounds white wheat, 1/2 pound caramel 10, 1/2 pound rye. Add 1/4 oz hops at 60, 1/4 oz at 15, 1/2 oz flameout. Safale US-05 yeast. Quick, easy, cheap, light 4% lawnmower beer. Great for summer, easy drinker. I have used Amarillo, Citra, El Dorado hops, whatever sounds good. I use kegs, can't get any easier. And everybody likes it.

The Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo would go well together in an APA or CDA (Cascadian Dark Ale).

I am looking for help in building an all grain recipe with the hops I have on hand. Will buy the grains needed. Not picky about the style, just something that looks good enough to interest me. Thanks!

Hops on hand:
Galaxy - 4 oz
Cluster - 1 oz
Sorachi Ace - 1 oz
Simcoe - 2 oz
Citra - 1 oz
Amarillo - 2 oz
Apollo - 2 oz
Nelson Sauvin - 5 oz
Cascade - 2 oz

Sorachi Ace - I hate! Can't help you with it

Galaxy, Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, and Cascade are all good for American IPAs

Cluster is sort of bland (IMO)

Apollo is a good early hop (bittering).

Nelson Sauvin is a treasure.

My suggestions.

Beer #1:

I do an IPA, bitter with a ounce of Apollo, and finish and dry hop with about 7 ozs of ones noted above. 1 oz at 15, 1 oz at 10, 1 oz at 5, 2 oz as a hop stand for an hour after bringing down temp to 175 F, and 2 ozs dry hop.

11 lbs of 2-row (or 8 lbs of LME, or 6 lbs of DME), 0.5 lbs C60, and 1 lb off table sugar. Mash 150 F. If using extract, I might increase the sugar to 1.5 lbs to help dry it out a little. Looking for an OG of about 1.065.

Beer #2:

I'd do a trippel with Nelson Sauvin. Bitter with half ounce off Apollo at 60, 0.5 ozs NS at 15, 0.5 at 10, 0.5 at 5, 0.75 at flame out (cool to 175 and add steep for at least 30 minutes). 0.75 ozs dry hop.

5 lbs of 2-row, 5 lbs of Vienna, 2.5 lbs of table sugar. Lookng for about 1.078 OG.

Sorachi Ace - I hate! Can't help you with th with avengence!

I don't mind the Sorachi Ace hops. I used it to make a wheat beer that I made into a Lemon Shandy for the summer. Turned out really well with the lemonade I mixed in. Went through a 5 gal keg in an afternoon at a barbecue. Even non beer drinkers were going back to the tap over and over.

You can use those hops for just about any American style beer:

APA
IPA
DIPA
Brown Ale
Amber Ale
Wheat

Back