Help with a recipe conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devantf

Reaction score
Its been a while since ive been on here.... good to be back.

SO, when I moved, I didnt take my all grain set up and have been satisfying my brewing needs with simple extract batches. For my next batch, i want to try and take a recipe ive made before with grain.

Pretty simple porter, here is the grain bill ect....

US 2-Row Malt 10.00 lb 83.3 % 3.4 In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 1.00 lb 8.3 % 121.1 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 1.00 lb 8.3 % 11.4 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Cascade 4.5 % 1.00 oz 15.6 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
UK Challenger 7.0 % 1.00 oz 18.7 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Cascade 4.5 % 1.00 oz 7.7 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End

Yeast
White Labs WLP051-California Ale

please help with a good extract recipe, im assuming that ill steep the roasted grains but wanted to check here first.

Second thought:
Anyone have any thoughts about adding a little pureed pumpkin to it? its cheap and might add a nice spice note.

Thanks a bunch!

Steep the Roasted barley and Caramel for 30 minutes between 150 and 160F. Substitute 6 lbs of the lightest DME you can find for the 2-row. Maybe go with 8-12 ounces (depending on how dry you like your beer) of Crystal instead of the full pound as the DME will probably have some crystal in it.

I have added pumpkin to the boil before with decent results but it is really better to add it to the mash to convert the starches. Pumpkin alone, in my experience, doesn't add a whole lot of flavor. You would have to add a small amount of spice to get any sort of spice note. Also, for my taste, mixing pumpkin with roasted malt would taste like burnt pumpkin pie.

Latest posts

Back