Help with a name (I always said I wouldn't)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
I've finally caved in and I'm asking for help brainstorming for a brewery name. I used to call it Hockey House Brewing, but since I no longer live at the "hockey house", I have to change names, and I'm ready to.

Here is a little background on what I'm shooting for, mostly from a daydream I had while listening to Type O Negative in my cube at work. This is if I was ever to start a pro brewery:

It would be a tavern looking place, low ceilings, worn handmade looking stools and decor, more central european (think forests and mountains of slovakia, poland, hungary, romania). Some place you might imagine as a kinda creepy looking tavern/inn on a rural forest road.
The beer is a mixed bag of new american styles, classic english, german, and eastern european beers.
But all in all I want it to have that rural central european tavern feel.

I like german culture and history and all I could come up with is Nosferatu [insert here, ie. brewery, brewcraft]. But Nosferatu has been used a lot lately. My last name is Slovak, and I guess it would give it an authentic eastern european name, but I don't want it named after me.

Thanks for the help!

Huh. My mother is from Bratislava,Slovakia. Trying to think of the name of the famous person their I saw a statue of. It was once part of Bavaria as well. Barbarossa brewing? Famous German legend...

It would be a tavern looking place, low ceilings, worn handmade looking stools and decor, more central european (think forests and mountains of slovakia, poland, hungary, romania). Some place you might imagine as a kinda creepy looking tavern/inn on a rural forest road.

Sounds like something from Tolkien...Hobbits Hole Brewing...depending on how you interpret the name, it fits, or it's gross.

Sounds like something from Tolkien...Hobbits Hole Brewing...depending on how you interpret the name, it fits, or it's gross.

Now that I think about it, it kind of does, but I never really got into Tolkien, so it might be out of place to name it that haha.

Or a Fransetta painting,like on Molly Hatchet album covers. They were used on Conan book covers too. I have a copy of Conan the Conqueror,the only Conan story Robert E. Howard ever finished.
Or maybe something to do with Prince Vlad,better known as Vlad tepes (tzepesh) "impaler",or keseiklubie(?),"berserker" to the ottoman Turks.
Thought those might invoke some creepy names. Of course,if you read "Creepy","Eiry",Weird tales,etc,...uncle creepy's ales! lolz

Or Wagner.... Valkyrie Brewing, or any character from Wagner's Ring series...

Or just make up some word that combines what you are, have or/and what you want.
Ours is Jygomundi....part dog, part "voodoo" for Louisiana and really confusing to pronounce:drunk: and definitely original.

Forgot about Wagner. "north winds bwow,kill the wabbit!!"ok...maybe not...magic helmet brewery?...Ha...magic helmet..."yeees! magic helmet...& I'll give you a sammmplllle"! BLAM! lightening strike lager. Maybe I watched looneytoons too much?...

Likkawitch Brewery - When you want a taste of dark religion.

I don't know how many of you listen to classical music but it seems like some of you do. I've always really liked Smetana's Ma Vlast. So maybe Vysehrad Brewery (named after the song about the castle in Prague)?

Continuing down your Nosferatu and Eastern European ideas..

Borgo Pass Brewery/Brewing/etc. Borgo pass is the "gateway to Dracula's castle" and also where he was said to have been killed in Bram Stoker's novel.

Maybe something with Wallachia in it. It's the region that Vlad the Impaler reigned (the inspiration for Dracula). New Wallachia Brewing, etc.

Or maybe something will inspire you in slavic mythology

Ok....what about something to do with the Danube River....its one of the most famous european rivers and encompasses almost all the cultures I am imagining.

You mentioned Type O. How about "Wolf Moon Brewing Company"? Sounds very Mystic/dark.

+1

That's where my brain is as well. Just please, for the love of god, don't use "Bitchcraft Brewing" or you'll be shunned (long story).

Bacchus Brewing
Scare-all Brewing
Electrocute Brewing
Green Light Brewing
Pyretta Brewing
Machine Screw Brewing
Untermensch Bierhaus (it means "subhuman")
Carnivore Brewing
Vinnland (New Vinnland?)

I was trying to keep those as generic as possible.. don't want Lars suing you.. oops.. wrong band. ;-)

Hope something in there helps out, even if it just sparks ideas of your own.

:rockin:

Edited to add: What's wrong with Boleslaus Brewhaus (etc.)?

When I think of Eastern Europe, I have to think of our old nemesis. Maybe KönigsGarten Brauerei or King's Garden Brewery; KGB for short.

Other Ideas: Bad Czech Brewing Co., Lost Empire Brewing Co

Forgot about Wagner.

Exactly. You got to go with the "Valkaries Brauerei" or "Die Walküre Brauerei" or "The Ride of the Valkyries Brauerei". This way you get the name for the brewery with a musical theme and plenty possibilities for beer names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Invent your own word alongside your brews. Pay tribute to your own imagination. I recently named a beer Bramarelygoolin cause I thought it sounded leprechauny. Screw it, names are cool, but good product is the test!

Literally translated, Dracula means Spawn (or Son) of the Dragon. Dragonspawn Brewery?

Or, perhaps a play on Vlad Tepes' name? The Vlad Tappas Brewery? You could brew Impaler IPA...Decapitation Stout...

Donau Brauerei?

The Great Moravian Brewery...

Pivovar Magyar (Brewery Magyar)...

Janosik Brewery...

Just spitballing a bit...

Vlad & his father & brothers belonged to the voivod,"order of the dragon". But the word "draculya" literally means "son of the devil". When his father died,he was then called Vlad Dracol,"the devil". There's conjecture on this point even now. Interesting how Bram changed the word draculya to dracula to make it easier for English speaking readers.
Check out the book "in search of Dracula" by Radu Florescu & Macanally.
And "Tepes" in Romanian is pronounced "tzepesh"...it's a Slavonic pronunciation thing. Mom was Slovak,so I still remember some of it.

Wow, thanks for all the help! I'm writing some of those down and also keeping track of my own ideas. Hopefully pretty soon here I'll decide on one.

So its super cheesy, but my name is Dan and I kind of liked the Danube idea....Danubrew. I also like the idea of using my alias...Boleslaus. Pivovar Boleslaw. Still kicking it around. Thanks for the help guys, I'm still open to ideas.

Hockey house + Eastern European = Cross Czech Brewing

+1, I think this is the best so far. Your logo could be a mean looking czech hockey player. There are lots of hockey reference beer names you could come up with. "Hat Czrick, Triple hopped IIPA" for example.

+1, I think this is the best so far. Your logo could be a mean looking czech hockey player. There are lots of hockey reference beer names you could come up with. "Hat Czrick, Triple hopped IIPA" for example.

Haha that is awesome. Moved to the top of my list, although I'm nearly decended from every country surrounding the Czech Republic...just not actually Czech. But the name is so cool haha...

Praugelem Child Brewery.... smashed "Prauge" and "problem child"... modify as needed

or...

Brew Danube- a play on the waltz, "Blue Danube" by Johann Strauss, of course

Vlad & his father & brothers belonged to the voivod,"order of the dragon". But the word "draculya" literally means "son of the devil". When his father died,he was then called Vlad Dracol,"the devil". There's conjecture on this point even now. Interesting how Bram changed the word draculya to dracula to make it easier for English speaking readers.
Check out the book "in search of Dracula" by Radu Florescu & Macanally.
And "Tepes" in Romanian is pronounced "tzepesh"...it's a Slavonic pronunciation thing. Mom was Slovak,so I still remember some of it.

I've actually read a lot of that. Pretty interesting stuff!

Maybe I'm just indecisive, but I still haven't settled on a name. I just haven't found something that really encompasses what I have in mind. I've been playing around with naming beers after pagan and/or cultural festivals. I like the idea that beer has always been there throughout history bringing people together to celebrate....so something like that.

Back