Help with a brewer's best kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk_fxn

Reaction score
this weekend, I grabbed a brewer's best black lager kit.

Being a newb, when the guy at the shop kept saying "you know this is a lager right?", I should've asked questions...Instead, I said, yep!

Upon reading the instructions, I saw that lagers need quite a bit of extra attention that I am not equipped for. However, the instructions say I can do this as an ale.

The yeast is saflager w-34/70. I followed all the instructions and have the batch fermenting in my basement (which is pretty cool since the central air unit is located down there). So, my question is, can I bottle in two weeks or should I give this bad boy some additional time in the fermenter? Is there anything else I should do to ensure this goes smoothly?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks! dk

I would leave it in the primary for a month, giving time for fermentation to complete and beer to clear, confirm your FG has stabilized, then bottle and leave alone for 3 more weeks to a month to achieve proper carbonation and conditioning. Refrigerate and test one bottle to ensure it is carbonated and go from there.

I have done a couple of the BB kits and think they have you move from primary to secondary to quickly. Personally i stopped using a secondary for most beers but that is personal preference. I would go at least 3 weeks. Before bottling and if you do second do that after a week. Also 3 weeks in bottles a room temp after bottling.

Back