help with a amber cream ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunsetBrewery

Reaction score
the other day I had a beer from a local brewery that I loved. They advertised it as a Amber Cream Ale "A unique brew that is a perfect marriage of amber and cream ale. Hints of caramel and toasted malt lead to a silky smooth finish". I really want to brew a similar beer of my own. I'm stuck on the grain bill though. I've never brewed a Cream Ale...so I'm not to familiar with the style. The only thing I know about it is...it's a light colored beer mostly made from 2 row or 6 row as base malt & maize is used in the grain bill. I also know the yeast used is usually a blend between a lager & ale yeast. here"s the recipe I came up with

8lbs 2-row

1lb Flake corn

1lb Vienna

0.5lb Caramel/Crystal 40

0.5oz Cascade 60mins

1oz Willamette 5mins

White Labs WLP080 Cream Ale

Does this recipe look good for what I'm trying to achieve with this brew or has anyone ever tried brewing something similar & have a recipe? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

Hmm, that's a tough one but I'll give it a shot. Just based off the description:

OG/FG 1.050/1.011
ABV 5.1%
SRM 7.5 - should be good for a light amber color, not sure how it will compare to the original
IBU 20

7lbs 2 row
1lb flaked oats - for the "silky smooth finish"
1lb flaked rice - lightens body like a cream ale should have
.5lbs Crystal 60 - hint of caramel
.5lbs Biscuit - hint of toasted malt

1oz williamatte @ 60 -> 20 IBU
1/2oz cascade @ 0 - optional, would be tasty though IMO

US-05/WLP080/WLP029 are all good choices

Here's my Cream Ale and its a pretty decent creamy beer. Cream ales have a low IBU so be aware of that. If you wanted to add something to make it more of an amber, I'd sub 8oz base malt for 8oz of the C-60. If you want more amber go a pound but not more than that.

Just my 2 cents.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Cream Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.5%
IBU (tinseth): 22.84
SRM (morey): 4.46

FERMENTABLES:
9.5 lb - Canadian - Pale 2-Row (86.4%)
1 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (9.1%)
4 oz - Canadian - Honey Malt (2.3%)
4 oz - American - Munich - Light 10L (2.3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 22.84

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 156 F, Time: 60 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F

I would start with Revvy's Kiss Your Cousin (KY Common), and replace the rye with either Vienna or Munich OR go with Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crop (cream ale) and replace 1 lb or so of the 2-row with Vienna or Munich. Just about any American Ale yeast or any lager yeast will work fine IMO.

Thx for suggestion guys. I've prob wrote out 4 different variations of recipes but couldn't come to agree on which one to go with....keep second guessing it. I like saltymirv recipe since I had victory malt in a cpl of my recipes I wrote out. Only change is subbing the flaked rice with flaked corn. For some reason I just wanna keep the flaked corn. From what I've read the flaked corn adds that sweet creaminess to the beer & somewhat part of the cream ale style. Even though I've seen some recipe without flaked corn in it. I'm gonna give it a shot & who knows....I may try the rice route if this one isn't up to par.

Latest posts

Back