Help - Wiring Combo Volt/Amp Meter in panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
Hey folks -

Quick question, I bought a combo volt and amp meter for my new panel build. I understand how to connect the transformer for the current side. But how do I hook up to read voltage (220v)? Would I hook both hot legs to the voltage input? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks.

Here is the back of the panel.

61mXy4HScoL._SL1200_.jpg

Thanks.

How many connections on the meter?

Is it dual display? Is there a switch to go from volts to amps on the meter?

How many connections on the meter?

Is it dual display? Is there a switch to go from volts to amps on the meter?

Yes, this is a dual display unit. There is a two wire input on the right where the current transformer plugs in. There is a two wire input on the left for voltage.

I have the same meter and, while I haven't installed it yet, it looks to me that you just connect the meter wires to the load lines (hot A and hot B) right after the main power connection so you can measure the voltage between the two legs. I'm planning to simply wire directly to the main power receptacle pins.

I have the same meter and, while I haven't installed it yet, it looks to me that you just connect the meter wires to the load lines (hot A and hot B) right after the main power connection so you can measure the voltage between the two legs. I'm planning to simply wire directly to the main power receptacle pins.

Thank you, that was my assumption but I wanted to have folks who also use the meters in their panels confirm for me.

Thank you, that was my assumption but I wanted to have folks who also use the meters in their panels confirm for me.

Well post back and let me know if it works. ;)

But seriously, electrically speaking, it's just a voltmeter. One lead connects to one leg, the other lead connects to the other leg. Since you want to measure the total voltage between the two hot legs you just need to connect to each of them before any loads start drawing voltage, so that means somewhere between the receptacle and the first component, or even at the two terminals of the main power relay (if you're using one, which I assume you are).

If you connected one wire to one hot leg and the other to neutral or ground, you'd read somewhere in the 120v neighborhood. Connecting between hot A and hot B gives you the full difference between +120 and -120.

The meter doesn't draw hardly any current (only enough to power itself, basically, which is why it doesn't need a separate power supply).

Well post back and let me know if it works. ;)

But seriously, electrically speaking, it's just a voltmeter. One lead connects to one leg, the other lead connects to the other leg. Since you want to measure the total voltage between the two hot legs you just need to connect to each of them before any loads start drawing voltage, so that means somewhere between the receptacle and the first component, or even at the two terminals of the main power relay (if you're using one, which I assume you are).

If you connected one wire to one hot leg and the other to neutral or ground, you'd read somewhere in the 120v neighborhood. Connecting between hot A and hot B gives you the full difference between +120 and -120.

The meter doesn't draw hardly any current (only enough to power itself, basically, which is why it doesn't need a separate power supply).

Thanks!

Are the two green terminals and the two blue terminals the only connections on the box seen in the OP?

The drawing and text are ambiguous enough that I do not know what I would do if I owned the meter. Every time I think I have an answer, some thing makes me think something is wrong.

Are the two green terminals and the two blue terminals the only connections on the box seen in the OP?

The drawing and text are ambiguous enough that I do not know what I would do if I owned the meter. Every time I think I have an answer, some thing makes me think something is wrong.

RufusBrewer - yes the two green and two blue are the only connections on the box. From the other posts, I believe the answer is yes - both hot legs connect to the voltage inputs.

My build is ongoing and I will post an update once I get the unit fired up. Still waiting on parts shipping from ebrewsupply to arrive. Oh, and for the BCS units to got off backorder status.

Back