HELP - Windsor yeast issue? (Milk Chocolate Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFHomebrewer

Reaction score
hi all,

just checked the gravity on a milk chocolate stout after 14 days and it is reading 1.032. fermentation was furious after 24 hours post-pitch, then quickly dropped off after 1-2 days.

i pitched around 78-80F and within 24 hours it had dropped to 68-70F (whilst massive fermentation was starting).

assuming that the FG would be good i put the fermenter in the fridge to cold-crash it before moving to keg.

clearly something is wrong but i am not sure what and how to remedy.

recipe:

8 lbs - Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz 8.0 oz - Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz - Oats, Flaked
4.0 oz - Carafa III
4.0 oz - Roasted Barley
1 lbs - Milk Sugar (Lactose) (30 mins)
1.25 oz - Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.25 oz - Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
8.0 oz - Cocoa Powder (Boil 10.0 mins)

1 pkg - Windsor yeast (dry)

Windsor is a notoriously low attenuater. What was your OG?

When did you move the fermenter to the fridge? If you hadn't reached your FG yet, that would certainly prevent it from happening.

Maybe set it somewhere it could start fermentation again and give it a swirl to rouse the yeast.

An OG would help, but I suspect this will finish high regardless. High specialty malt content + lots of lactose + Windsor = low AA.

Two other questions. Mash schedule? Have you brewed this before?

@rlonardo - moved into fridge just after pulling FG beer for testing.

OG ~ 1.053

Mash 153F for 60 min. step to 170F for 10, fly spare.

could I remove from fridge, regain temp and repitch? if so, diff yeast?

An OG would help, but I suspect this will finish high regardless. High specialty malt content + lots of lactose + Windsor = low AA.

Two other questions. Mash schedule? Have you brewed this before?

any complimentary yeast reco?

do u have a foolproof starter process for a novice without a stir plate? I have the flask with foam stopper.

Just making sure. You can warm up to temp and try adding more yeast. Make a small starter and get it working, then pitch away. Try something other than Windsor.

Any English yeast that doesn't floc like mad would be fine. Hell, even Notty would work.

No need for a stir plate. Just a basic starter to get them working is fine. Boil a pint or quart of water, add extract to 1.040 gravity, cool, add yeast. Keep it all sanitary, and when the yeast is in full swing, pitch the whole thing.

If you plan on brewing again soon, just use whatever you want to use on your next batch. Make two starters - one for this batch and one for the next. Saves money.

Back