Help! What now? Broke three bines.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBock

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398793669.359249.jpgthis plant was dig up from my home in Oregon, traveled to Minnesota, and is living in a box til the weather gets nicer. It had the advantage of thinking spring wa here in Oregon And is now about 10 feet high.

In my efforts to wrap bines and stuff I broke three of the four biggest bines. Now I don't what to do. Do I let them sprout out their new bines and let them grow? Or do I cut them down and hope the fertilizer and transplant into its permanent home will reinvigorate growth?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also...the plant is now in its third year, is a mount hood and has shown surprising resilience to being ripped out of the ground and subjected to freezing temps before living in this box

Although I'm not familiar with your weather patters, I do not think its too early in the season to just cut the bines down and let the new ones grow.

They were healthy and green. I don't believe they were hollow. Definitely not dry and hollow like bines at the end of the year

Yeah but these are all ready 10 ft high. Will the breakage affect my yield if I don't cut them down?

It's not even May yet.

When I got home from vacation this weekend I took a look at the hop beds and noted all 15 crowns had dozens of shoots each. Today they average about a foot in length and the plants look like porcupines needing haircuts.

Tomorrow I'm whacking every last shoot to grade and making them all start over again.

Just like the last two years...

Cheers!

Update: got it planted into an appropriate planter (22x22x22). During the transplant from the box it fell out the bottom of the box about 3 inches from its new home....

I cut all the bines down (they all broke again when they fell out of the box anyway). It's been more than a few weeks now and I'm skeptical about if the plant will bounce back. I have one scrawny bine, a second one that broke...again...and it was only a couple inches long, and a third that poked out of the soil and inexplicably withered up.

This is its third year. I'm worried it's finally had enough trauma from moving, bine breaking and root damage.

Should I just leave it be, give it nutrients and hope for a rebirth next year?

Hit it with some fertilizer and keep it watered. What kind of soil is it in? If there aren't many nutrients in the soil, that could explain the spindly and withering bines. That could also be transplant shock as well.

I pulled up a cascade earlier to find some root rot forming, cut that out, and replanted with fresh garden soil, mushroom compost and manure. I hit it with some blood meal once a week, and some vigoro every other week. I water every day it doesn't rain, just enough to dampen the soil. She went from withered and dying and no growth to about 6' long, with another healthy few inches on her today.

I wouldn't plan on a great harvest, but plan for root establishment for next year. Good luck!

Relax. It will be fine. Give it some blood meal or another fertilizer of your choosing and let nature handle the rest. I bet by next month your bines will be 10'+. In the mean time, take the broken bines and grow new plants from them.

It's in good garden soil and I have fish emulsion that I use periodically. I figured the harvest will suck. Call me cynical but given its current condition I highly doubt it'll be 10 ft in a month. I've seen this plants growth over the last two years and it's pissed at me

If Oregon could get its **** together and have enough jobs I'd still be there

Back