Help Wanted: Boneyard RPM IPA Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 gallons

11lb 2 row
8 oz aromatic
8oz munich
4oz crystal 20
1.6oz acid
.3 black pat

This is a GREAT GRAIN BILL

Have never used acid malt. Read that it is sometimes used to adjust pH.
I use gypsum in my IPAs and Pales ... should I not do that in this if using acid malt?
Also, straight american 2-row or is something like MO or Golden Promise a thought?

Anyone get a close clone to this yet? Just tried it and its outstanding!

In the kit from brewcraft the hop scehdule for 5 gallons is pasted below.

A ginormus whirlpool addition and a very modest dry hop.

.29 oz Hop Pellets for First Wort Hopping
1.21 oz Hop Pellets for Flavor and Aroma
5.87 oz Hop Pellets for Steeping
.8 oz Hop Pellets for Dry Hopping

1.21 at what time (5,10,15)?
5.87 steeping? Whirlpool, flameout?

Anyone get a close clone to this yet? Just tried it and its outstanding!

I have no real or inside information. But if you love RPM, which I very much do, I'd suggest using the grain bill provided by 100 Million and try some of the suggested hop schedules on this thread. It might not get you a clone, per se, but I think it's going to get you in the ballpark.
I've made a couple of batches under that concept. My preference is citra early and bravo late (along with more Cs like cascade, centennial, columbus and chinook). Also, an English Ale yeast.
Honestly, I don't think you can "clone" this beer because I believe Boneyard switches the hops based on supply and availability. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.
But I also don't know that you should worry about trying to clone it. When I stopped trying to figure it out and just made a made a beer along these lines, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Sometimes, "inspired by" is better than a clone.

I have no real or inside information. But if you love RPM, which I very much do, I'd suggest using the grain bill provided by 100 Million and try some of the suggested hop schedules on this thread. It might not get you a clone, per se, but I think it's going to get you in the ballpark.
I've made a couple of batches under that concept. My preference is citra early and bravo late (along with more Cs like cascade, centennial, columbus and chinook). Also, an English Ale yeast.
Honestly, I don't think you can "clone" this beer because I believe Boneyard switches the hops based on supply and availability. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.
But I also don't know that you should worry about trying to clone it. When I stopped trying to figure it out and just made a made a beer along these lines, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Sometimes, "inspired by" is better than a clone.

Perfect comment

Bravo at FW help bitter.....

Then threw in the kitchen sink (hops and hops and more hops) for the rest of the time, and then some ............

Have never used acid malt. Read that it is sometimes used to adjust pH.
I use gypsum in my IPAs and Pales ... should I not do that in this if using acid malt?
Also, straight american 2-row or is something like MO or Golden Promise a thought?

most wort likes to be about 5.5 ph

I personal think gypsum is more for bring out the flavor of the hop in ipa and hoppy beers versa lowering ph......

I never use gypsum in my porters stouts reds etc..... the beers with little hops compared to IPA's

ALL commercial brewers use 2 row for base malt for there main beer they make...... All silo's are full of 2 row........

Any updates to cloning RPM? Seems like a few have tried. Has anyone had success on this yet? Cheers!

This link isn't specifically related to rpm, but at the top of the article is the grist for rpm, and the rest of the article gives the template that Tony Lawrence uses for designing his recipes. I am guessing that the hopping times would be the same for rpm, though the rates might be lower as this is an older recipe. I haven't read this thread for several years & don't remember the hops that are in rpm. Hope this helps.

https://beerandbrewing.com/building-recipes-the-boneyard-way/

Here's some detective work from various sources.

From https://beerandbrewing.com/building-recipes-the-boneyard-way/
RPM = "pale malt, Munich malt, Aromatic malt, Vienna malt, and dextrose"

"Ironically enough, Boneyard’s flagship RPM IPA has a sweeter, malty side created with pale malt, Munich malt, Aromatic malt, Vienna malt, and dextrose."

Hops : https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/brewe...ery-series-recipe-pack-boneyard-rpm-ipa-10600
https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/img/product/description/Boneyard RPM IPA Instructions.pdf
"Boiled and dry-hopped using four Northwest hop varieties"
Hop Addition 1: First Wort Bitter
Hop Addition 2: Flavor/Aroma
Hop Addition 3: Whirlpool
hop Addition 4: Dry Hops

My hypothesis:
Chinook - bittering
Cascade, Willamette, Mosaic, Citra, Equinox (HBC 366) - aroma hops

Steeping: 151 deg for 60 min
Drop Hopping: 7-10 days
Ideal Fermentation Temperature: 68°F
OG: 1.062 / FG: 1.009
IBU’s: 50
ABV: 6.98%
Color: 8.8 SRM
Yield: 5 gallons

Here's my best shot from the detective work
Suggested Recipe:
9 lb 7oz - Pale 2 Row
1 lb - Aromatic Malt
1 lb - Vinenna Malt
1 lb - Munich Malt (10L)
60 min at 151 deg

Boil 60 Min
0.4 oz - Chinook - First Wort Hops
10 oz - Dextrose - last 20 min
0.5 oz - Cascade - 5 min
0.5 oz - Willamette - 5 min
0.5 oz - Citra - 5 min

Whirlpool for 30 min
0.4 oz Cascade
0.4 oz Citra
0.4 oz Equinox (HBC 366)
0.4 oz Mosaic
Wyeast Labs 1968

Dry Hop for 7 days
0.4 oz Cascade
0.4 oz Citra
0.4 oz Equinox (HBC 366)
0.4 oz Mosaic

Looking for any other suggestions / ideas.

Just visited the Boneyard tasting room and apparently the hops are:
Bravo
Ctz
Centennial
Cascade

Here's some detective work from various sources.

From https://beerandbrewing.com/building-recipes-the-boneyard-way/
RPM = "pale malt, Munich malt, Aromatic malt, Vienna malt, and dextrose"

"Ironically enough, Boneyard’s flagship RPM IPA has a sweeter, malty side created with pale malt, Munich malt, Aromatic malt, Vienna malt, and dextrose."

Hops : https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/brewe...ery-series-recipe-pack-boneyard-rpm-ipa-10600
https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/img/product/description/Boneyard RPM IPA Instructions.pdf
"Boiled and dry-hopped using four Northwest hop varieties"
Hop Addition 1: First Wort Bitter
Hop Addition 2: Flavor/Aroma
Hop Addition 3: Whirlpool
hop Addition 4: Dry Hops

My hypothesis:
Chinook - bittering
Cascade, Willamette, Mosaic, Citra, Equinox (HBC 366) - aroma hops

Steeping: 151 deg for 60 min
Drop Hopping: 7-10 days
Ideal Fermentation Temperature: 68°F
OG: 1.062 / FG: 1.009
IBU’s: 50
ABV: 6.98%
Color: 8.8 SRM
Yield: 5 gallons

Here's my best shot from the detective work
Suggested Recipe:
9 lb 7oz - Pale 2 Row
1 lb - Aromatic Malt
1 lb - Vinenna Malt
1 lb - Munich Malt (10L)
60 min at 151 deg

Boil 60 Min
0.4 oz - Chinook - First Wort Hops
10 oz - Dextrose - last 20 min
0.5 oz - Cascade - 5 min
0.5 oz - Willamette - 5 min
0.5 oz - Citra - 5 min

Whirlpool for 30 min
0.4 oz Cascade
0.4 oz Citra
0.4 oz Equinox (HBC 366)
0.4 oz Mosaic
Wyeast Labs 1968

Dry Hop for 7 days
0.4 oz Cascade
0.4 oz Citra
0.4 oz Equinox (HBC 366)
0.4 oz Mosaic

Looking for any other suggestions / ideas.

Latest posts

Back