Help using Perle hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerpolar

Reaction score
I have three bags of perle hops that i would like to use so I came out with this recipe:

9.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
8.0 oz Munich Malt
1.6 oz Black (Patent) Malt
0.50 oz Perle [9.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Perle [9.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Perle [9.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min
Not sure about yeast

Any opinions or changes? Will this make acceptable beer?
Thanks

Sure, that should make something pretty tasty! Use an American ale yeast and call it a blonde ale, Kolsch yeast it could be a Kolsch... Belgian yeast, call it an Enkel. English yeast, call it a Golden Bitter. Depending on your system you'll get around 1.050 and 25 IBU. It's a pretty middle-of-the-road recipe that, provided you control your fermentation and sanitation, should be pretty tasty no matter what yeast you throw in there.

I'd probably drop the black malt, personally, since at that percentage it's really just going to give you a little color. Replace it with a few more ounces of dehusked black malt, use a lager yeast, and call it a Dark Lager.

I'd add at least an ounce @ 60min and switch to a 15min and 5min addition to get more of the flavour and aroma out of the Perle hops. I'd go for Nottingham or US-05 for dry yeast or Wyeast 1056 for liquid.

I'd also go 1oz at 60, drop the 30min addition and whirlpool it...make the 10min a 15min addition, looks real nice...I also 2nd the replacement of bp

Some questions that are worth asking yourself: what kind of beer are you hoping to make? Malty? Hoppy? Balanced? Do you have a particular style in mind? What are you trying to achieve from each of your proposed ingredients?

We can throw out suggestions all day long, but without knowing what your goal is, it's all just shots in the dark.

I made a Perle SMaSH and found that is a weak flavor and aroma hop. 0.5 oz at 10 min won't do anything. An oz at 10 min and another at flameout would be better.

I like the SMASH idea.
Use 100% Munich, the Perle Hops and some kind of German yeast and then give it a nice German name. :)

I have been away for a while. Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try to brew this week. I'll post once I drink the first one. Cheers!

I like the SMASH idea.
Use 100% Munich, the Perle Hops and some kind of German yeast and then give it a nice German name. :)

anyone have any thoughts as to if this is a good idea?

do I need to lager this? r can I treat it like an ale?

Thanks

anyone have any thoughts as to if this is a good idea?

do I need to lager this? r can I treat it like an ale?

Thanks

Dredging up an old thread.
Perle works well with munich or pilsner in a SMASH, or just about anything you want a noble type of hop presence,
Ales and lagers are different types of beers and use different yeasts. Either would work, but you'd ferment them differently.

Back