Help Tweak this Amber Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabeez

Reaction score
This one just came into its prime, after three weeks fermenting and four weeks in the bottle. Learning from the results, I will tweak the next brew of this. Please give me your suggestions...

I am especially interest in adjunct grain suggestions, hops suggestions, and suggestions to eliminate the touch of grassy flavor.

The beer looks and smells just like I was expecting. Nice amber color, with good clarity. There is a strong head that clings to the glass nicely. The flavor is on target with a fair representation of a full bodied ale. There is a slight grassy taste, that has diminished as the bottles age, but still persists. I am probably being hyper critical of my own brew. It actually tastes good, but striving for excellence is part of the home brewing passion. I would like more body and caramel in the next brew, and less grassy taste. The slight honey aroma is a very nice finish.

The ABV is higher than I would like. I was surprised by the high efficiency I am getting with my simple brew rig.

I would like to move the flavor closer to a Yards Philly Ale. A good full flavored session beer.

For a 2.5 gallon batch:

4 lb Munsters Perle
1 lb Carabrown
0.5 lb 90l
0.25 lb flaked wheat

Mashed at 155 F

0.25 oz Nugget at 60 minutes
0.25 oz Willamete at 15 minutes

WLP005 British Ale Yeast

1.064 OG - this is a strong brew. I will shoot for 1.045 next time
1.009 FG

Primed the bottles with 3 oz honey and 1 oz of water, boiled for 1 minute. There is a slight honey aroma in the finished beer

Back