HELP: Trying to build 2 separate starters from single WY1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on making 2 batches on Saturday for AHA BIG BREW DAY, both of which call for WY1056
(MFG date of 3/27/14, which makes it 78% viable according to BS)

Batch #1 is a Pale Ale
OG: 1.056
According to BS, I need roughly 206B cells

Batch #2 is SNPA clone
OG: 1.053
BS says I need 196B cells

We planned on stepping up the starters at least 2x

I only have a 1L flask, my buddy has several 2L flasks (he cannot get here until Wednesday)

So... My plan was to get the process going today and build a small starter to get the cell count up.

Made a 500mL starter and added smack pack to final volume of 600mL.

I went to MrMalty and played a little bit, but felt lost because I could not really find a "step up" portion on that site.

I also went to yeastcalc and did a little more messing around.

But I am still at a loss for the understanding that I want.

Can someone please assist me in doing the calculations.

If I let this starter go for a couple of days, how many cells will I have?

Then if I decant off the excess and split the cells in half (roughly), how do I go about getting the required number of cells for the 2 separate batches?

I am thinking that I will have to step it up 2 times in addition to the original starter that I have going at the moment.
Either that, or my next step is going to have to be bigger than the 2L flasks that we have, and I am thinking that we may have to use growlers as vessels.

Do not be afraid to tell me that I am way off base and this cannot be done like I think it can.:(

Back