Help translate this clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluetieman

Reaction score
1. Do I boil the grains together (using the method in the easy partial mash FAQ)
2. I get that the hops addition is at certain times in the easy partial mash process, but I'm to sure when (an easy way to reply would be to reply next to each hop stage).
3. What does the last sentence mean, along with the number (is that minutes)?

Thanks in advance:

10.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.8 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %

1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 24.0 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.3 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.67 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.67 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Bitterness: 67.2 IBU

I will be mashing 155-156

I could be wrong, but with that grain bill, I don't think the easy partial mash would be sufficient. This looks like an all-grain recipe.

As far as the hops are concerned, the time is how long they should be boiled for. For instance, 20 minutes means that they should be added when there are only 20 minutes left of your boil. However, your recipe does not say how long the total boil should be. Also, I am not sure what style you're going after, but hops added soon in the boil give the beer it's bitterness and there doesn't appear to be any hops that start with the boil.

The last sentence is the all-grain mash instructions, so unless you have a MLT/other all-grain equipment, I don't think this recipe will work for you.

This would be an all grain batch, for best results heat your mash water (see below) to the determined temp and let sit for an hour, this releases the sugars in your grains, then sparge (rinse) to get your final wort.

Times here are based on a 1 hour boil schedule
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 24.0 IBU from start of boil
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.3 IBU from start of boil
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 17.5 IBU till end of boil (50 min mark)
0.67 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU till end of boil (55 min mark)
0.67 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU till end of boil (59 min mark)
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops this is a lot of hops to dry hop with but add them to your secondary fermentation 1-2 weeks before bottling

I will be mashing 155-156 The numbers here represent temp for your grains. Too little heat and no enzymes will release and too hot will release tannins and give your brew off flavors.

TheHomebrewConnection

PS If you love this recipe and do not want all grain we can convert it into liquid or dry malt extract for you.

0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.3 IBU from start of boil
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops this is a lot of hops to dry hop with but add them to your secondary fermentation 1-2 weeks before bottling

This is an assumption, correct? I mean, why do you suggest that he had the 0.75 oz. citra at the start? Why does it say 20 minutes? I'm not saying that I disagree with your logic, but is this recipe not strangely written?

This seems like a straight forward all grain recipe. It can easily be converted to a PM. the hop schedule is straight forward also. The 20 min addition can also be added as a FWH. The citra hops will provide enough bitterness there to balance this beer IMO

This is written strangely, perhaps out of order. Particularly the term "first wort hops" being second on the list is confusing to me.

First wort hopping is adding hops to the water BEFORE the boil, as you're collecting your sparge runoff. So, theoretically this should be the first hop addition, unless they're adding hops to the mash. Which isn't unheard of, but not commonly practiced either.

Assumption? yes. Weird recipe layout? yes. but when I say "from the start of the boil" I mean 15 min "from the start"... 20 min "from the start." I guess if it were me I would choose a hop set to add at the beginning of the boil (minute 0) and add the others with an adjusted time to compensate for the amount of hop additions... tricky, but I'd go with your gut. It's just home brew...

TheHomebrewConnection

I guess if it were me I would choose a hop set to add at the beginning of the boil (minute 0) and add the others with an adjusted time to compensate for the amount of hop additions...
TheHomebrewConnection

That's kind of what I was getting at. Not questioning your judgment at all, just confused like the OP.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.
Secondly, do not try that recipe without doing a lot more research.
It is an all grain (not partial mash) recipe that requires a good understanding of mashing and sparging principles. Your first question "Do I boil the grains together (using the method in the easy partial mash FAQ)" indicates that you do not understand mashing although DeathBrewers thread clearly indicates that the grains should be removed before boiling.
As for the hop additions, in each case the time in minutes is the amount of time remaining in the boil, and as the earliest hop addition is at 20 minutes, and annotated as first wort hop, that indicates a 20 minute boil. (I ran the recipe through Promash, and the IBU contributions for each hop addition approximately matched the IBU contributions in the recipe.) For an all grain brew, a 20 minute boil is (IMO) totally inadequate. I wouldn't boil for less that 60 minutes but I don't have time to research all the reasons why the extended boil time is necessary.
Finally, 3 oz of dry hops in a 5g brew? That is just excessive.

-a.

As for the hop additions, in each case the time in minutes is the amount of time remaining in the boil, and as the earliest hop addition is at 20 minutes, and annotated as first wort hop, that indicates a 20 minute boil. (I ran the recipe through Promash, and the IBU contributions for each hop addition approximately matched the IBU contributions in the recipe.) For an all grain brew, a 20 minute boil is (IMO) totally inadequate. I wouldn't boil for less that 60 minutes but I don't have time to research all the reasons why the extended boil time is necessary.

I've seen it argued that first wort hopping in a 60 minute boil is similar to a 20 minute hop addition. Maybe, whoever wrote the recipe added them as a 20 minute addition so that their brewing software would calculate the IBUs as if they had added them at 20 minutes.

I don't know if this is the case but I've heard of people doing it before so it might be.

This would be an all grain batch, for best results heat your mash water (see below) to the determined temp and let sit for an hour, this releases the sugars in your grains, then sparge (rinse) to get your final wort.

I will be mashing 155-156 The numbers here represent temp for your grains. Too little heat and no enzymes will release and too hot will release tannins and give your brew off flavors.

TheHomebrewConnection

PS If you love this recipe and do not want all grain we can convert it into liquid or dry malt extract for you.

Thank you everyone for you thoughts...I've been really busy but just got my kit, so am ready to roll.

The conversion might be the better way to go to just learn the process, but also getting the beer that I want. Someone suggested getting a kit and converting it to this recipe (maybe by getting a pal ale that closely matches the profile here and getting my own Citra as I don't think most kits have Citra)? Any thoughts (if not how do you propose your conversion work?).

Back