HELP! Too much CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingBrewer22

Reaction score
I just kegged my fifth batch. Normally I leave my regulator set at the same psi so I don't have to worry about proper carbonation (with the exception of minor adjustments). However, I recently moved and I think it was nudged a little too far. I set the psi to 10 at 42 degrees and was planning on following the set it and forget it method of carbonation. Unfortunately, i went to check on it this morning and discovered the regulator was at 25psi! I purged a bunch of CO2 an cranked the psi way down.

What would be the best method to remedy this mistake? Thanks!!!!!

Doesn't sound like a reason to panic. Just test it tonight and if you think it is too carbed up, disconnect the gas line and have a few pours while purging the co2 out of the keg here and there for a couple days. If it's undercarbed then let it hang out at 10. Also fyi: if you keg it before it's done or add too much sugar, and don't have a check valve between the regulator ands the keg, then it could raise pressure much higher than what the regulator is set at making you think that the regulator is broken.

forgot to mention that I kegged it on tue night so it's only been a couple of days at 20. if I purge and set to 10 im guessing worst case scenario I'm. little overcarbed?

So I got freakin lucky. I went out to the garage this afternoon to make sure my psi was set properly, which is wasn't again! In any case, I dropped the CO2 and hooked up the bev line to pull off some pints in order to hopefully begin to balance everything out. As I'm pulling off some beer into a growler I notice a beautiful head forming and delicious looking beer on its way out. Confused I feel inside the keezer and notice that it feels warmer than usual. The breaker had been tripped and my temp controlled keezer was at 65 degrees. Because the temp was so high the amount of CO2 being pushed in was actually the correct amount! Hahahaha, sooooo lucky. In any case, I reset the breaker, cut the psi to 8 and left the keg on gas. Looks like i'll be having some properly carbed beer after all:mug::tank:

Back