Help to find a recipe: Pale Ale - Orange/Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanna cook something up for my wife and I hope you can assist.
I normally brew IPAs as I like hoppy beer. My wife doesn't like bitter beer, so I had no luck with my IPAs so far. Now I want to make her a beer that she will like.

I want to do something with orange and coriander... a fruity summer Pale Ale. There should be no or almost no wheat in it (intolerance).
ABV should be around 6%.

I will not be able to dry hop as I will be on vacation for 3 weeks. So it would stay 4 weeks in primary (I'm not home earlier).

Thanks,

Hmm, so it basically sounds like a Belgian Witbier, but without the wheat base. Do you want an expressive Belgian yeast to compliment the orange and coriander?(standard spices for a wit)

This is my pale ale recipe I've been tweaking. Its very smooth and popular with girls and people that arent huge beer geeks. I think orange and coriander could add a nice touch to it. I'd add 1oz each orange peel and crushed coriander near flameout.

9lb 2 row
6oz golden naked oats
6oz caravienna
6oz honey malt
12oz honey

For hops, I'd go with typical IPA hops that are citrus-based, but just back off on the amounts so it stays in pale ale territory

Can she have barley? "intolerance" covers an awful lot of ground; from actual Celiac Disease, to "Eew, gluten" because that's trendy, and lots of real and imagined levels in between.

I might look for a witbier recipe and substitute Minute Rice for the unmalted wheat. I have no idea how that would turn out. :)

A girl who like 6% ABV beer?? That's a keeper! Or is the 6% for you?

ETA: m00ps and I must have been typing at the same time.

A girl who like 6% ABV beer?? That's a keeper! Or is the 6% for you?

ETA: m00ps and I must have been typing at the same time.

Well, maybe she wont like it and I have to finish the batch. :) Thats why I shoot for 6%. :D

Do you want an expressive Belgian yeast to compliment the orange and coriander?(standard spices for a wit)

Fermentation temperature will be mid 60. I was thinking about US-05 or Nottingham.

hmm, well if you are limited to dry yeasts, US-05 would be a safe bet.

Personally, I'd give Belle Saison a try. It will dry the beer out nice and crisp and add some spicy notes that could pair well with coriander

hmm, well if you are limited to dry yeasts, US-05 would be a safe bet.

Personally, I'd give Belle Saison a try. It will dry the beer out nice and crisp and add some spicy notes that could pair well with coriander

I'm not limited to dry yeast, just to lower temperature for this batch.

you could try one of the hybrid lager/ale yeasts like California Common, Kolsch, or Cream Ale. I love using those in light refreshing beers and they thrive at the mid 50s lower 60s

I would brew a light saison with orange peel and coriander in the boil. After you finish primary, give it a healthy dose of Orange Blossom Honey and let it ferment out the sugars from that before bottling/kegging.

I brewed this saison and it was by far the best beer I have brewed to date.

65% Pilsner
15% Pale Ale Malt
10% Light Munich Malt
5% Carapils
5% Sucrose or Dextrose

Shoot for 1.050 OG
Bitter to 10-12 IBU @ 60 min
Another 10-12 IBU @ 30 min
Last hop addition @ 5 min for 4-5 IBU
I used all NZ Motueka, gives a nice lemon/citrus note
@ 15 min remaining in boil add 2oz fresh orange zest per 5gal. (about 3 oranges worth)

Yeast I used was Omega Labs Saisonstein's Monster (OYL-500) @ 64°F

Ferment till FG around 1.008 - 1.010

Add 1 6oz jar of Orange Blossom Honey after primary complete, referment complete in 4 to 5 days. Cold crash and fine w/gelatin.

Back