Help! Smack-pack smacked too early...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperypick

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was going to brew on Tuesday, so I smacked my WYeast 3056 Monday afternoon.
Tuesday turned into a no-go. Wednesday got hectic too. Wednesday night, after realizing I wasn't going to brew into the dark and that Thursday wasn't possible, I put the pack in the fridge.
Question: If I brew tomorrow, will the yeast still be OK?
I bought another pack today, but I smacked it too hard and it broke, splashing yeast all over my kitchen counter... Should I run out and get another, or will my 1/2-week-old smacked-pack be OK?
Help me, my friends. A great wheat beer is on the line...
:cross:
Thanks!!!

"Smacking" the yeast pack does nothing except release a few nutrients. It doesn't matter, and you don't even have to smack the yeast pack before using it.

Typically, a starter should be made for any beer above about 1.040-1.045 anyway when using liquid yeast, so if you're making your starter don't even bother smacking the pack first.

So... The fact that it's been swollen for a bit, kept at room temp for a couple days and chilled for a couple days won't harm the yeast...?
I'll definitely make a starter if the yeast is still good!

The yeast is good. A properly sized starter is always best for any beer over 1.030 or so. Check mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com for information.

Back