Help! No sanitizer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
I keep my brewing stuff and brew at my in laws house, as I don't have the room in my apartment. Got here and my starsan got cut somehow and leaked out everywhere, now I have nothing to sanitize my primary fermenter with. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Vodka?

I don't know, but don't use bleach. anything that can withstand high heat you might put in the oven at 250 for ten minutes or so, but I'm not sure of the time.

If you have some plain bleach, use that. Fill the fermenter, then add a few teaspoons of Clorox (or equivalent. Make sure it's the plain stuff)
when ready, dump the mix out, and I like to rinse it a bit with the spray attachment of the tap, but YMMV. (I'd rather have the very small chance of anything weird from the leftover rinse water in there than that high a concentration of bleach)

See if you can remove the top shelf of the dishwasher without breaking anything and maybe your fermenter will fit in the bottom shelf. Run a short "sanitizing" cycle.

Or... the acid content in automatic dishwasher soap may be enough to sanitize your bucket. Dilute some of that and slosh around in your bucket.

or...boil a gallon or so of water and pour that in the bucket - slosh around and carry on.

If you've cleaned the bucket from your last session, it shouldn't be too bad, right??

These are just quick thoughts. Not tested or verified. Good luck!

I don't understand putting a carboy in the dishwasher. Water isn't going to reach inside, will it? If it's a bucket then that's another story.

I'd use bleach if that is all I had and rinse the **** out of it.

I found a packet of powdered no rinse sanitizer that came with my beer kit. Thankfully I didn't throw it away like I wanted to!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't understand putting a carboy in the dishwasher. Water isn't going to reach inside, will it? If it's a bucket then that's another story.

I'd use bleach if that is all I had and rinse the **** out of it.

I think the benefit to the dishwasher is the high heat, even the older ones get hot enough to sanitize.

Ive used bleach in the past, but have been warned off doing it.

Get 2.5 gallons of warm water and add 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of bleach (plain). Apply this to everything you want to sanitize and allow it to sit on it for 10 minutes. Meanwhile boil some water and let it cool so you can handle it safely. Use this boiled water to rinse with.

Get 2.5 gallons of warm water and add 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of bleach (plain). Apply this to everything you want to sanitize and allow it to sit on it for 10 minutes. Meanwhile boil some water and let it cool so you can handle it safely. Use this boiled water to rinse with.

I was able to make due with the powdered no rinse......

boiled 3 gallons of water, swirled it in the bucket, then used the powdered no rinse stuff. Will pick up some more star san before next weekend.

Back