help needed on all-grain duvel brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williec30

Reaction score
Question about an all-grain batch of Duvel I brewed (from the 150 Classic Clone Recipes magazine)... it's been in fermentation for 14 days now, and still has plenty of suspended yeast. I racked it to the keg this afternoon, in hindsight, a carboy would have been better; it's very cloudy, has a very bitter flavor and smells of sulfur. Wonder if I might have an infection of sorts?

I am thinking it would be best to let it sit for another 2 weeks or so in the keg and then rack to another keg?

Starting gravity: 1.065
Current gravity: 1.010
Suggested FG: 1.006

Recipe

Grains
10.50 pounds American Pilsen Malt 95.5% of grist
0.50 pounds American Dextrin (Cara-Pils) Malt 4.5% of grist
11.00 pounds Total Grain Weight 100% of grist

Hops
1.80 ounces Total Hop Weight 9.4 AAUs

Adjuncts
1.60 pounds Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

Yeast
White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast #WLP570 — Liquid — 1 vile

I am thinking it would be best to let it sit for another 2 weeks or so in the keg and then rack to another keg?

Sounds ok. three weeks would also be good. Then three weeks in the next keg and it should be good to drink.

So, 5-6 more weeks and you should be able to see where you stand.

The WLP570 takes a LOOOOONG time to flocculate, dude. It ain't gonna clear up for at LEAST another month, probably more.

Not only that, but this style needs extended aging. I have one aging in keg right now that I brewed 9/28 and I haven't touched it, probably won't for at least another month.

That would explain the harshness. The sulfur, dunno, it'll probably go away with age. But I would plan on aging this ***** for 4 months IIWY.

Sounds like your fermentation was not complete. What temp do you have this at? The 570 yeast will stall and raising it up into the 80s is acutally a good way to get it to fully attenuate.

Sounds like your fermentation was not complete. What temp do you have this at? The 570 yeast will stall and raising it up into the 80s is acutally a good way to get it to fully attenuate.

been sitting @ 70-72 so far.

thanks for the ideas... i will set it aside for a while and check it in a while.

Back