Help My Cider is Stuck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwuebben

Reaction score
I brewed the Drunken Emu cider recipe I found on this site the other day. I used cider from a local apple orchard, which had a lot of sediment in the bottles. Anyway, my gravity was 1.080 instead of the 1.050 that was advertised in the recipe. I used the recommended Nottingham yeast. There was no airlock activity, even after 24 hours and I noticed all the yeast floated to top. I asked the guys at my local brew store what to do. They recommended using American ale wyeast. So, I tried that. Again, nothing, even after 24 hours. Anybody have any thoughts on what yeast I should try next?

I first used 1 campden tablet crushed per gallon. I let that sit for two days. I the pitched lalvin ec-118 yeast. It started within 24 hours and really took off after 48 hours

Was the 1.08 just the cider or did you add something to make it sweeter? What is your reading right now? I think 1.08 is pretty high for cider out of the bottle. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back