Help me understand this flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalAngler

Reaction score
I brewed a cream ale 3/9 and bottled it 3/23 after two weeks in primary. The recipe is:

6lb light LME
.75lb honey malt
.25lb biscuit malt

1oz Cluster hops bittering

I tasted a bottle today and it's carbed really well, but I get a fairly strong butter flavor on the backend. I actually find it appealing, but I understand this flavor isn't typical of the style. I used Danstar Windsor Ale dry yeast and, admittedly, my ambient temps were 68-70. I thought diacetyl was created at lower temps so I'm at a loss for the cause of the flavor. Could either of these specialty grains lend a buttery flavor?

I've actually got a slight butter flavor before when I used Honey malt and Victory malt together in a blond ale but that turned out to be a some sort of infection. How old was the LME? Could be an off flavor from that as wel, had that happen once with LME from Northern Brewer, tasted butterish but I enjoyed it.

The other day I just had a Bourbon Ale that had a buttery flavor on the backend. Pretty interesting stuff. When I was drinking it, I was wondering what was used to get that flavor.

I've actually got a slight butter flavor before when I used Honey malt and Victory malt together in a blond ale but that turned out to be a some sort of infection. How old was the LME? Could be an off flavor from that as wel, had that happen once with LME from Northern Brewer, tasted butterish but I enjoyed it.

I have no idea how fresh the LME was because it was from my LHBS and packaged from bulk. I may have bottled a little early because the beer was stuck at 1.020 and fairly cloudy when I bottled. It has since cleared to crystal in the bottle though. Maybe the DJ put on a slow song and the yeast were just taking it slow in there.

From what I've read diacetyl isn't usually an issue with ales fermented in the 60s and 70s and it typically goes away in a couple days after the end of fermentation. I'm at a loss. I'll have some buddies try it when it reaches three weeks in the bottle and see what they think. It could be that I'm just really sensitive to diacetyl and can detect it in really low concentrations.

Well after three weeks in the bottle this cream ale is absolutely delicious. The diacetyl is much more subtle and only comes through when the beer warms up. I think the yeast were just taking their sweet time because they hadn't flocculated when I bottled and now they have cleared completely in the bottle. I now learned that I need to not only rely on the hydrometer, but also at the clearing of the yeast and the taste of the brew. In hindsight I would have left this in primary for another week or so.

Back