Help me tweak this neipa please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I brewed this beer almost two weeks ago and fermentation using hornidal kviek stalled out. I only used 2tbsp of slurry from the pack in an effort to push up the fruity esters And it stopped at 1.030 and adding more slurry with a heat pad got it down to 1.020 5 days later Before I cold crashed it. So anyway I wanna rebrew this and idk if it stalled because I underpitched or it was something in the recipe I could tweak. So 5.75 gal into fermenter, ddh neipa, using again hornidal kviek but this time I’ll use the whole pack and it ferments in the mid to high 90’s F. So first beer I mashed at 154deg, to keep the body and mouthfeel. I use distilled water at a 2:1chloride to sulfate ratio. Should I mash a little lower to increase fermentability. I also thought about mashing at say 152 but upping the oats to 2lbs to increase body Still keeping minerals at 2:1 ratio. Here’s the original recipe.

15lbs 2 row
1lb munich
1lb white wheat
1.5lbs flaked oats
4oz carapils
og-1.086 fg-1.016 beersmith estimation

pH? With that grain bill I'd need about 5 or 6 oz of acidulated to get around 5.3. I don't see any difference between 152 and 154 in my experience. You'll get highly fermentable wort either way. And what's you overall chloride to sulfate numbers? FWIW I'd go about 3:1. My last NEIPA was 190:69.

I don't know if the chemistry would affect the stall with an underpitch...

pH? With that grain bill I'd need about 5 or 6 oz of acidulated to get around 5.3. I don't see any difference between 152 and 154 in my experience. You'll get highly fermentable wort either way. And what's you overall chloride to sulfate numbers? FWIW I'd go about 3:1. My last NEIPA was 190:69.

I don't know if the chemistry would affect the stall with an underpitch...
I use bru’n water spreadsheets so ph is measured at 5.3 and I use lactic acid to drop it down. Calchl/sulfate is about the ratio u have it but I think mines more like 200:90 on that beer.

i also think I may have just underpitched and had I used the whole pack of hornidal I may have been fine.

Probably the yeast . Our recipe is pretty close. I mash at 152 but agree with Rcope, not sure 154 and 152 would be a huge difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201106-051807_Grainfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20201106-051807_Grainfather.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 7
I have only used kviek a few times but i have found it necessary to add yeast nutrients to hit my fg target. i brewed a 15gal batch and only pitched a single pack of omega hornidale kviek and it chewed it down to 1.012 in 3 days.

No experience with Kviek but, my 2 cents is:
Lower the mash temp (150-152)
Double the wheat
Add .5LB more oats
Half the Munch
Eliminate the Carapils
Now, adjust the 2 row down to whatever you calculate or think it should be.

Back