Help me refine my rye saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tconnolly1120

Reaction score
Title says it all. I posted this a few days ago in the all-grain/partial mash section, but got some insight from a few helpful members to post it here.

Thanks for all the help!

[Nameless] - [Belgian Saison] - [Partial Mash (8.5 oz total: 4 oz DME; 4.5 oz grains)]

Message Format:
[Beer Name] Nameless
[Beer Style] Belgian Saison
[Brew Type] Partial Mash
[Batch Size] 5 US gallons

[Efficiency Target]
Not sure since I have yet to find space to do all grain brewing in my house

[Grain Bill]
4 lbs (64 oz) Pilsen DME 44.44%
2.2 lbs (35.2 oz) Pilsner Malt (Belgium) 24.44%
1.3 lbs (20.8 oz) Malted Rye (US) 14.44%
0.5 lbs (8 oz) Wheat (US) 5.56%
0.5 lbs (8 oz) Munich - Dark 20L (US) 5.56%
0.5 lbs (8 oz) Turbinado Sugar 5.56% @ 25 mins

1.063 OG 1.012 FG 6.7% ABV

[Hop Bill]
0.50 oz Northern Brewer (DE) [8.5 %] - Boil 45.0 min Pellet 12 IBUs
0.50 oz Northern Brewer (DE) [8.5 %] - Boil 10.0 min Pellet 5 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin (NZ) [12.5 %] - Boil 10.0 min Pellet 7 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin (NZ) [12.5 %] - Boil 5.0 min Pellet 4 IBUs
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin (NZ) [12.5 %] - Dry Hop 7 days

[Yeast]
White Labs Belgian Saison II WLP566 Yeast

[Water]
Just started looking at my City's water report to get an idea of what it contains, but still not entirely sure how to manipulate it to enhance my brews. Here is a link of a report from 2013 (Can't find one from last year yet). If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share. http://www.longbeachny.gov/vertical...6D2A}/uploads/Water_Report_2013_from_2012.pdf

[Process]
Mash at 146-149 for an hour with a water ratio of ~1.11 quarts/pound of grain (5 quarts/4.5 lbs grain). Try to get as much sparge water through your system as you can.

Ferment at 63-65 F and let the yeast raise the temperature of the beer upwards of 77-79 F.

[Notes]

A few things to consider that I could use some insight to.

(1) I just recently started partial mash brewing (within the last 2 years) and up until now, I have always used a mash size of 5 quarts (5.2 L) and a sparge size of 5 quarts (5.2 L) with a boil in the brew pot of 0.5 gallons (1.6 L). After adding the first and second wort, there is roughly 3.17 gallons of wort in the brewpot. I have recently acquired an 8 gallon brewpot, and was considering raising the boil size (while remaining at roughly a 5 gallon batch). I usually just boiled for 60 mins for IPAs, cooled down the wort in an ice bath (still in the pot; covered) until I added it to the carboy ontop of 2 gallons of cold water. Afterwards, I added 1 more gallon of cold water on top to drop the temperature. I usually yield about 4.5 gallons of beer (due to evaporation). Since I have a larger brew pot now, should I boil at a larger size and not add the cold water to the carboy? I have not noticed any watering-down of my beer with this process, but I was wondering if it would help to have a boil size of say 6 gallons that reduced to roughly 5 gallons with a 20% evaporation rate per hour. If I raise my boil size to 6 gallons, should I raise the mash size or just the initial boil size before the two additions of wort?

(2) I’ve heard of other home brewers adding another package of simple yeast (i.e. US-01) to the Carboy when the beer is at 75% fermentation (roughly a gravity of 1.030) to kickstart the yeast. Is this recommended or for my first batch should I just keep it simple?

Back