Help me make sure I have my cider steps correct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisluggo

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,
I have a batch of cider in the carboy on day 3 of fermentation. It is a batch of 5 gallons with 4# of brown sugar, on Nottingham yeast. Help me make sure I have my next steps correct. SG was 1080

1. Wait until the fg is where I want it to be, then prime and bottle.
2. Test the bottles until the desired carb is reached then bottle pasteurize.

Or I could

1. Wait until fermentation is complete (side question, how far down will nottingham ferment down to?)
2. Back sweeten?
3. Prime then bottle?

Thanks for the guidance!

Thank you.

If I want to back sweeten, can I add the xylitol get it to the right sweetness and then add the priming sugar and bottle in the same day?

Yes, but be careful with xylitol. Some have reported that it give you the runs. A quick google search confirms this.

Kinda hit and miss with the artificial sweeteners. I tried Truvia by tasting it out of the container and thought I liked it but doesn't seem to do well in the cider.

I have a current batch going and I plan on letting it reach 1.012ish, which will still let it have some natural sweetness, carb it up, and then pastuerize it to kill the yeast.

A test batch I let go to .998, I back sweetened with Stevie. Out of all the sweeteners I've tried, I like Stevie the best. Clean, with no aftertaste. This cider is only a few months old, so I back sweetened on a per-sample basis until it ages a bit. I just started out with cider this year so I'm still on a learning curve. Taking that into consideration, my favorite ones so far (out of about 50 gallons this season) are the ones I arrested fermentation via cold crashing at 1.015 - 1.020, stabilized with Campden and sorbate and then kegged. Next season I will just try repeated cold crashing with no sorbate and see how it goes.

Back