Help me make a 1 gallon extract IPA recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
I just got a new 1 gallon glass carboy so I want to break it in with a nice quick extract IPA recipe.

I'm thinking of using 1.5 lbs of extra light DME for an OG of around 1.064, steeping 0.1 oz of Crystal 40 for a bit of color, and using some S-05 slurry from a batch of pale ale I currently have in the fermenter. I just need help with the hops.

I have 0.8 oz of Perle available, and 0.5 oz of Cascade available. I'd like to use up all of those hops, between the boil additions and a dry hop.

Just playing around in Brewers Friend I came up with:

0.2 oz Perle @ 60min
0.2 oz each Perle and Cascade @ 10 minutes
0.2 oz Perle and 0.1 oz Cascade @ flameout
0.2 oz each Perle and Cascade dry hop

This gives me about 63 IBUs which is in the area that I would like this IPA to be (60-70 IBUs would be good).

So what can you guys come up with? :mug:

It's very close to a schedule that I would recommend. I say go for it. If anything I'd bring the 10 minute to a 5 minute and maybe hopstand but I think you'd need a bit more hops and maybe that's just for more aroma in a dipa.

I say go for it how it is. Even though I don't like perle :)

It's very close to a schedule that I would recommend. I say go for it. If anything I'd bring the 10 minute to a 5 minute and maybe hopstand but I think you'd need a bit more hops and maybe that's just for more aroma in a dipa.

I say go for it how it is. Even though I don't like perle :)

Thanks. Moving the 10 minute to 5 minutes is definitely something I'd consider. Would I need a bigger 60 minute addition to make up for some of the IBUs. I'm planning on letting the flameout additions sit for 15 to 20 minutes, I guess this is what you'd call a whirlpool or hopstand?

I'm interested to see how the Perle works out. This is going to be a very non traditional IPA, I'm using pilsen DME (LHBS didn't have the right size bags of extra light), and a lot of Perle, something I don't typically see in a lot of American IPAs. I guess it will be a bit earthy/spicy/minty

Thanks. Moving the 10 minute to 5 minutes is definitely something I'd consider. Would I need a bigger 60 minute addition to make up for some of the IBUs. I'm planning on letting the flameout additions sit for 15 to 20 minutes, I guess this is what you'd call a whirlpool or hopstand?

I'm interested to see how the Perle works out. This is going to be a very non traditional IPA, I'm using pilsen DME (LHBS didn't have the right size bags of extra light), and a lot of Perle, something I don't typically see in a lot of American IPAs. I guess it will be a bit earthy/spicy/minty
A whirlpool is a bit different but yes basically a hopstand. Perhaps you could steep some specialty grain that would complement your hops? After using melanoiden in a Zombie Dust clone I always go back to it. Not sure what would pair with perle/cascade but perhaps looking into it.

You could shift more perle earlier in the additions and more cascade later depending on what flavors you're looking for. You could switch that around. If you're working with decent AA% you should be fine bitterness-wise.

You could shift more perle earlier in the additions and more cascade later depending on what flavors you're looking for. You could switch that around. If you're working with decent AA% you should be fine bitterness-wise.

I like this idea. That way I could keep the earthiness and spiciness of the Perle contributing to the bitterness/flavor of the beer and the more floral Cascade contributing more to the aroma. I will have to play around with this and figure out something I like. I was wondering if the two would clash if I was to add them both as late additions. I think the AA% on my hops are slightly above average, something like 8.7% on the Perle and 7.1% on the Cascade (can't remember exactly).

Back