Help me hop up a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
I am going to brew this recipe but want to hop it up a bit, plus I have some hops I want to start using up (at least a bit).

here is the recipe as is
11 lbs of Marris Otter
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.75 lb Crystal 120
.25 Black Patent
.25 Victory
1.75 ounces of Fuggles for 60 minutes.

I have 1.75 oz Willamette 4.2% I am gonna sub for the Fuggles because I have it on hand, and also want to bump up the IBU's to 45 or 50. Here are the other hops I have:

chinook (about an oz)
liberty (about an oz)
northern brewer (a little less than an oz)
saaz (0.5 oz)
sterling (1.5 oz)
hallertau (about half an oz)

Any suggestions on how to add any of those (bittering, flavor or aroma additions all welcome) that would go well with this recipe?

thanks

The Northern Brewer would be great added at 5 minutes left in the boil. I love it in a Porter.
The Sterling might go well with it too... maybe for a ten minute addition.

Cool thanks for the suggestion. How much should I use for each, do you think?

If anyone else has a different take I'd love to hear about it too, maybe to try next time.

I like Liberty added late (steep or dry hop). Should pair well with Sterling. I've used Liberty in India Porter before and it's great. Neither too bland nor too American.

Depends on the AA%.

I don't have the hops here at work so I don't know the AA% right now, but you could you give a suggestion based on the about how many ibu's are appropriate at each interval? I have always just followed recipes for hop schedules so am a bit lost as to the amounts I am shooting for.

I like Liberty added late (steep or dry hop). Should pair well with Sterling. I've used Liberty in India Porter before and it's great. Neither too bland nor too American.

Would that be in addition to the northern brewer that ceannt suggested with sterling? or just the liberty and sterling?

Latest posts

Back