Help me: Higher OG for this NW Red!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouHadMeAtASL

Reaction score
I wanted to get the OG around 1.07 instead of 1.055. How would you suggest doing that? I know I could just add more sugar but I would rather make it a more complex brew instead of just dumping sugar.

Any suggestions?

I'm also going to switch up the hop schedule to make it a complete NW hopped red. Thinking of using Centennial and Cascade. Thoughts?

Batch size: 5 gallons

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
70% 6 0 Light/Pale Malt Extract
12% 1 0 American Two-row Pale
6% 0 8 British Crystal 70-80L
6% 0 8 American Crystal 40L
6% 0 8 Muntons Cara-pils Malt
1% 0 2 American Victory

use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.75 East Kent Goldings info leaf 5.7
boil 30 mins 1.0 Fuggles info leaf 6.0
boil 1 min 0.5 Perle info leaf 9.3
Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

White Labs Irish Ale (WLP004)

Original Gravity
1.055 measured
(1.057 estimated)
Final Gravity
(1.014 to 1.017)

If you really want it that high for a red (which is high) I would add DME vs. Sugar. You can boil up a DME slurry and add to fermented. I would just leave it as it is and chaulk it up to experience.

Deuce said:
If you really want it that high for a red (which is high) I would add DME vs. Sugar. You can boil up a DME slurry and add to fermented. I would just leave it as it is and chaulk it up to experience.

Yeah I wanted a tad more alcohol heat and a higher IBU blast. Maybe not the typical red, but it's the red I'd like to drink.

Yea I would flip the EKG and the Perle. And add some more DME to get it a higher og. If you are doing it as a mini mash you could add a lb of flaked barley or a lb of oats wich would help with body and head retention while boosting the og a bit. If you like thinner beers you could add 2 lbs of honey wich would boost your og but would thin your beer out and make it very crisp and dry. You can even use sugar just dont use too much. the best way to up the og with out a flavor change is to just up the DME.

Back