Help Me Fix My Fridge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLT_66

Reaction score
Hey everyone, lemme know what you think.

I have a rather old over/under style fridge that I want to make my all around beer fridge except it has a problem.

The freezer portion of the thing is sitting at about 14*F while the fridge portion is only able to make it down to about 55 or so for some reason.

I have both dials set to it's lowest setting and have played around with it at various settings trying to get it lower.

I was thinking that the cooling elements were bad or dirty or whatever but figured since the freezer was working great then it couldn't be that.

I opened up the whole assembly in the back of the unit and found a metal solenoid looking thing that has a metal wire that runs up to what looks like the freezer area. This "solenoid" has the dial on it for the fridge setting. It is attached to a small white box with no buttons or anything.

The freezer setting is adjusted by opening and closing a vent. It says the freezer will remain the coldest when the vent is closed and warmest when the vent is open. It appears the vent connects the fridge and freezer portions of the unit.

If you can make sense of what I said and from the scenario I've described...what do you think the problem is? Bad thermostat? Is that the metal "solenoid" looking thing with the dial on it? What is the small white box attached to it?

I'll answer any questions I can...

I had a fridge like this and had some similar issues. First, it used the same element for both the freezer and fridge, so that is not usually the problem. It has a fan that blows the cold air into that outlet you see in the freezer. If that outlet is closed, more of the air is moved down to the fridge section.

So the first thing you want to do is to turn the freezer to its warmest position, keeping in mind if you need the freezer. On mine I did not, and actually placed duct tape over the opening, which made the fridge colder.

Other things to check is that there are no obstructions in the vent path ( including potentially ice ) and that the fan is blowing acceptably. Also, if the back wall of the freezer is loose, it can cause all of the air to blow into the freezer as well

These are the problems I ran into, anyways. I converted over to a modified chest freezer, and am much happier with that.....

Jim

Well, I think it is due to circulation issues. I pulled the back panel off the covers the coils in the back of the freezer. Half of them were frozen over and the circulation fan was not moving. I touched the fan with my finger and the fan started humming away. I think this points to a bad fan motor. I'm hoping to see improvements with the fan moving and if so I'll replace the motor.

Did the fridge set unused for any period of time before now? Those fans can get a small amount of rust buildup which will keep them from kicking on if unplugged for a while. I've seen it happen many times on fridges in rental units that set for a few weeks or more, and usually a little helping start like you did is all it needs. You can give it a little squirt of lube (wd-40) inside the motor if it does it again.

+1 wd movin parts. also you can always just try different positions with the vents until you get the preferred temperature. if you have to open up the freezer to get the colder air into the fridge more(makin sure not to hit any lines of course)

Well, I've plugged the outgoing vents that feed the freezer so more cfm from the fan is directed towards the fridge. Problem solved.

I set the freezer at warmest and the fridge at coldest and when I came back to the office this morning the temperature was at a brisk 30 degrees.

I've since adjusted it and it is now sitting nicely at 38 degrees.

Thanks for all your help and comments everyone.

Frozen coils usually are a result of the evaporator being dirty or the evaporator fan not running or the air flow across the fan is restricted.
Your freezer should easily reach 8-10 deg. F temperature if it is operating properly.
My first guess would be the fan, being as it started after you whacked it. Lubrication will help but, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that dirt is your problem, either.
Don't know if that helps or not. Good luck,
Greydog

Back