Help me decide my next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What beer should I make this weekend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aprichman

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew this weekend and am having a hard time deciding on what to make. I usually stick to American and English styles but lately I've been wanting to expand out a bit. Here is what I currently have on tap:

Tap 1 - American IPA (~1 gallon left)
Tap 2 - Kolsch (~4.5 gallons left)

I was thinking of doing a darker beer like a Cascadian Dark Ale or even something like a dark weizen beer. All good choices in my book. Im going to let the wisdom of my fellow HBT'ers make the call!

Please see the poll above. Any votes / comments are appreciated.

Of those I would go with the Roggenbier because it is the most different from what you already have on tap. Or maybe the Dunkelweizen. The Cascadian Dark ale is too close, as mostly a darker version, of what you already have. And you only have ~5.5 gallons of beer left so I would skip the lager for now.

Of those I'd probably go with the dunkelweizen - it's nice to have something dark but refreshing in high summer, but also works as the nights start to draw in. Maybe mess about with it, split the batch and put some raspberries in or something, bottle it?

Or just go the whole hog - now is peak time for foraging, go gruit or Norwegian? My next batch will involve kveik and bog myrtle somehow.

Or a saison?

The forum has loudly spoken - dunkelweizen it is. I will be heading to my LHBS today to pick up the grains and yeast.

Here it is the end of July, if you make a lager, it will take a while to be ready to drink. I start sampling my lagers after about 6 weeks, but feel they are much better after 3 months or more.
So my vote of the above 4 is for the Ale, or something else for summer would be a lime sea salt Berliner type Quencher slightly kettle soured with Lactobacilus Plantarum.

Something like this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/training-wheels-berliner-good-intro-to-sours.579458/

Last edited:
Back