Help!! May have over primed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewsterFish

Reaction score
Okay so we brewed an IPA and somehow ended up with 4.5 gallons at fermentation. (Didn't realized till it was too late). Then I primed for 4.5, adding about 1/2 cup corn sugar, but do to crud at the bottom I only have 3.7 gallons for bottling.

Could I possible get bottle bombs? And if so, what are some tips for storing to avoid ruining my apartment.

Thanks!

Using this calculator and highest temperature of 68°F;
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

You will have about 2.6 volumes of CO2. A fizzy beer, but not dangerous.
Although it will depend upon the actual weight of the sugar in your half cup measure. Going by weight is always more accurate than trying to use volume measurements. Walmart sells an accurate digital scale for about $20. Scale works for weighing hops to a tenth of a gram also.

You can put the bottles in a plastic tote with lid to relieve worries. In one week chill a bottle for three days to check the carbonation level. Handle the first one with eye and hand protection just in case.

Latest posts

Back