help just finished first home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbo1471

Reaction score
hi there i have just finished my first homne brew lager one i used the flementing conatainer then transferred into a pressure barreljust tasted it tonight but the lager is very cloudy and there is not any fizz in the lager any explanation what i have done wrong thanks

What is a pressure barrel? How long has it been in there?

It's cloudy because the yeast has not flocculated. As far as no carbonation, it either hasn't been in the pressure barrel long enough or something.

Tell us more about what you did including how long you've fermented and condition for.
I'm presuming you are in the UK.

Have you added priming sugar? If so how much and when.
Have you added CO2?
Have you checked the seal of the top? did you use vasaline?
What kit did you use?
Have you cold conditioned?
What yeast did you use?

What is a pressure barrel?

brew-buddy-lager-starter-kit-40-pint-incl.-pressure-barrel-107-p.jpg

hi its the beer bussy kit from wilkos. i just followed the instructions on the label a week in the flementing tub then 2 weeks in the pressure barrel the problem i did have was that the pinch bleed nipple was leaking abit alot of gas escaped out the top its the basic pressure barrel by youngs just has a rubber bleed nipple no co2 gas added just the barrel

Well if this was a lager kit you made, and you're talking about only letting it primary for a week and "pressure barrel" for 2, there is not much chance your beer would be clear. Lager yeast takes a very long time to flocculate out. Something tells me, you probably didn't store this at lager temps either (around 55 degrees F or 13 C). If you can chill at that temp, the yeast will come out of suspension much more quickly. We call this a cold crash.

As far as the lack of carbination, it sounds like you solved your own problem. A gas leak out of the top tells me a) you successfully produced gas with your fermentation and b) much of it isn't there any more.

Congrats on venturing into this great hobby we all share. It sounds like you're interested so try it again.

You'll need to ensure a good seal then add priming sugar and wait 2-4 weeks and or add CO2

You will need CO2 to serve after the first few pints.
The problem with a lager kit is that you are not brewing like a real lager.
You are brewing like an it's an Ale.

Sorry to say but you have a poor quality kit that at best will be drinkable. At worst it'll taste funny, be cloudy and flat.
Thers are things you can do to help, possibly not with this one though. It depends how much effort you want to put into it.

Back