Help! Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily47

Reaction score
I know if I have to ask the question, I already know the answer, but...

Brewed a Belgian Wit on Sunday. Sanitation, everything was spot on (fatal last words).

White labs yeast was past its best by date, but I read you can step it up anyway, so I started the starter Sunday morning. The starter was very slow to start fermenting, so I ended up pitching Monday night.

In that interim, I chilled the wort in the kegerator to 50 to discourage any other growth, and left it overnight til I was ready to pitch. All told, the wort sat for about 24 hours before pitching. Not a length of time I'm comfortable with, but not the worst I could have done.

Anyway, fermentation started by the next morning (Tuesday morning) with blowoff and everything. But I come home tonight (Tuesday night) and notice something strange along the INSIDE side of my carboy...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403059625.923768.jpg

And a close up, notice the bottom-most ring:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403059675.086581.jpg

What exactly is going on there? Any ideas from someone who's seen this before? I've seen mold grow on the top of beers, but never on the bottom, never in this kind of pattern, and never in a strongly fermenting beer. What's going on?

Looks like break material - and I'll bet the chill-down has something to do with the location of the ring.

It's a curiosity, but I wouldn't worry about it...

Cheers!

I know if I have to ask the question, I already know the answer, but...

Brewed a Belgian Wit on Sunday. Sanitation, everything was spot on (fatal last words).

White labs yeast was past its best by date, but I read you can step it up anyway, so I started the starter Sunday morning. The starter was very slow to start fermenting, so I ended up pitching Monday night.

In that interim, I chilled the wort in the kegerator to 50 to discourage any other growth, and left it overnight til I was ready to pitch. All told, the wort sat for about 24 hours before pitching. Not a length of time I'm comfortable with, but not the worst I could have done.

Anyway, fermentation started by the next morning (Tuesday morning) with blowoff and everything. But I come home tonight (Tuesday night) and notice something strange along the INSIDE side of my carboy...

View attachment 206327

And a close up, notice the bottom-most ring:

View attachment 206328

What exactly is going on there? Any ideas from someone who's seen this before? I've seen mold grow on the top of beers, but never on the bottom, never in this kind of pattern, and never in a strongly fermenting beer. What's going on?

I've had batches that looked similar. Based on that picture, it looks g2g

Back