Help interpreting profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collindv

Reaction score
So on my 26th batch, after tackling the move from extract to all grain (BIAB), getting away from bottling (4 tap keezer), and controlling fermentation temps (chest freezer fermentation chamber) I have finally decided to begin tackling the water variable. I have always used straight tap water in my brews as we have very drinkable tap water.

The first thing I did was send out for a Wards Laboratory report. Results are shown below:

pH 8.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 222
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.37
Cations / Anions, me/L 4.3 / 4.1
Sodium, Na 30
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 39
Magnesium, Mg 12
Total Hardness, CaCO3 148
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.7 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 22
Chloride, Cl 20
Carbonate, CO3 3.3
Bicarbonate, HCO3 118
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 102
Total Phosphorus, P 0.22
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

Can a water guru give me a quick interpretation of what I am seeing here? From what I have been able to ascertain I have a relatively high pH and alkalinity, meaning I have probably been mashing at too high of a pH, especially on pale beers.

I started making my way through Bru N Water to try and setup for an Amber ale I am brewing this weekend. I believe I have settled on 5.7 ml lactic acid split between mash & sparge water (7 & 2 gallons) as well as 0.5g gypsum and 2.3g calcium chloride split as well. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Can a water guru give me a quick interpretation of what I am seeing here? From what I have been able to ascertain I have a relatively high pH and alkalinity, meaning I have probably been mashing at too high of a pH, especially on pale beers.

I started making my way through Bru N Water to try and setup for an Amber ale I am brewing this weekend. I believe I have settled on 5.7 ml lactic acid split between mash & sparge water (7 & 2 gallons) as well as 0.5g gypsum and 2.3g calcium chloride split as well. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Yep, you've got it! You're low in calcium as well, and using the gypsum and calcium chloride will help out with that.

If you use all the salts in the mash, you may find that your mash pH is right in target. However, you will have to tackle the alkalinity as you know. You want your sparge water to have 0 alkalinity if possible, so you may find that using phosphoric acid may be warranted as to not have a flavor impact. Lactic acid is great, but I find that with my tap water, using more than 1 ml per gallon can cause a "tang" flavor to the beer.

Thanks! Maybe I will start with all the salts in the mash and maybe 75% of the lactic and see where that lands pH wise.

Last edited:
My tap water alkalinity is high also. I recently started looking at water chemistry. I discovered I need to dilute my tap water with distilled to make a pale beer (about 15%), then add in a tiny amount of gypsum & 4-6 grams of Calcium Chloride. Only have treated the last 2 brews and they are still in the primary. Jury is out but I can't wait to get them kegged.

Back