HELP india black ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkmailhot

Reaction score
so i am on my second brew in about a year still really green and learning. i just started brewing a india black ale and it has been in the fermenter for over a week and i noticed something. not bubbles are coming from my air lock. checked the lid and it is tight. is this normal? or is the batch junk?

If you took a gravity reading when it went into the bucket, take another sample. If the gravity is going down, your beer is going up.

if its been in the fermenter over a week, you shouldnt be seeing bubbles anymore as fermentation should be done. give it another week to clear, check your gravity and if all is right add your dry hops

if its been in the fermenter over a week, you shouldnt be seeing bubbles anymore as fermentation should be done. give it another week to clear, check your gravity and if all is right add your dry hops

the fermentation time on this brew is est. 6-8 weeks

the fermentation time on this brew is est. 6-8 weeks

they don't mean that the actual act of fermentation will take that long. no fermentation should take more than a week or 2 to complete. the rest of the time is just the yeast cleaning things up and stuff settling out. patience is very important aspect of brewing, but this beer should be ready in at least half that time and being an IPA you want to be drinking as fresh as possible since hops fade quick. I'd check the gravity now and if it's close to expected FG and tastes good, give it another week and if FG is still the same add dry hops, wait a week then package. more time wont do any harm if you want ot follow the estimated timeline tho, just a lil less hop aromatics

Don't worry too much. When you open the lid check to see if there is some krausen on sides or take a gravity reading to make sure it's fermenting. I've had a couple beers fully ferment with relatively no air lock activity.

thank you guys i had it sitting in a closet that was around 57 degrees F so i moved it to a room about 65 and it seamed to come to life for about a day and then settle back down. being very green i dont have a hydrometer yet. (wife budget) but i plan on leaving it in there untill the 14th and then bottling

Back