Help! High gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebbs

Reaction score
I usually do all grain batches but due to time recently just did 2 batches and tried converting it into dry malt instead.

Here is my all grain bill:

9.5 lbs - 2 Row
.5 lbs - Crystal 40
.5lbs - Flaked oats
.5lbs -White Wheat

Boil time: 75 min @ 152F
Mash out: 10 min @ 170F
---------
.75 oz Liberty - 60 min
.15 oz Liberty - 15 min

Est o.g.: 1.061
--------------------------
Here is what my version of this in DME:
6 lbs - Wheat DME (Muntons)
.5 lbs - Crystal 40
.5 lbs - Flaked oats

Steeped grains for 30 min at 152. Then added DME and brought to rolling boil for 15 min. Instead of boiling the hops with the DME, I boiled a separate pot with 1 gallon of water and the hops then combined the two together when all said and done. That may not have been necessary but I read that you shouldn't boil wort made with DME for longer than 20 minutes as it can give off flavors. (Tell me if this is wrong please :))

Est OG: 1.057
Actual OG 1.099
These are 5 gallon batches btw.

The only other thing I added was 5 tsp of yeast nutrient as the label instructs. WTF?

While this is the highest gravity I have made, I do not want it to be near 10% ABV. I am also confused how the hell it is so high when using brewgr.com and brewtoad estimated it to be about the same. Can someone give me any info on why/how this happened?

I have made LME beers before and steeped grains for 30 min then added the LME and brought to a boil with no problem so assumed it would be fine with DME.

1982081_10203196444127847_2597809509863741658_n.jpg

After mixing the life out of it and shaking it with the lid on, it came down to 1.060. I just didn't mix it well enough when I though I did initially.

Back