Help from the grammatically correct.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can never remember the difference when using "affect" or "effect", when typing.

Also can't remember how to use "lose" or "loose" correctly.

Any simple memory joggers?

Thanks.

They are only four words. Simply memorize the meanings:

Affect is a verb.
Effect is a noun.

You affect something to cause an influence.
The outcome is an effect.

Lose - not win; to no longer have
Loose - not tight

You lose change if it falls into a sewer grate.
You have loose change in the console of your car.

:D
They are only four words. Simply memorize the meanings:

Affect is a verb.
Effect is a noun.

You affect something to cause an influence.
The outcome is an effect.

Lose - not win; to no longer have
Loose - not tight

You lose change if it falls into a sewer grate.
You have loose change in the console of your car.

Thanks Yuri_Rage,

My 8th grade Grammar teacher tought me pretty well but we must not have covered those four words. If she did, I would remember.

Thinking I'll print out your expanation and put it on the frige. That's a pretty good idea if i do say so myself.

Is it like this?

I started with a loose mash as far as water and grains go; then raised the burner heat to affectively bring the kettle up to temperature. The effect, in temperature was to hot. I needed to lose some heat before the tannins were extracted. So loosened, reduced, the regulator input pressre thereby effectively decreasing the burner heat. The effect was a perfect mash!

If it's not to much.. Grade me harshly.. big red marks across my mistakes... or something like that.

Thanks,
Dan

Just to muddy the waters . . .

Affect can also be noun, related to affectation or a person's facial expression. For example "John's blank affect indicates that he's uninterested."

Effect is both a noun and a verb. I looked it up on Merriam Webster online, just to be sure I wasn't wrong.

Effect (transitive verb)

1: to cause to come into being
a : to bring about often by surmounting obstacles : accomplish <effect a settlement of a dispute>
b : to put into operation <the duty of the legislature to effect the will of the citizens>
See effect defined for English-language learners »
Usage Discussion of EFFECT

Effect and affect are often confused because of their similar spelling and pronunciation. The verb 2affect usually has to do with pretense <she affected a cheery disposition despite feeling down>. The more common 3affect denotes having an effect or influence <the weather affected everyone's mood>. The verb effect goes beyond mere influence; it refers to actual achievement of a final result <the new administration hopes to effect a peace settlement>. The uncommon noun affect, which has a meaning relating to psychology, is also sometimes mistakenly used for the very common effect. In ordinary use, the noun you will want is effect <waiting for the new law to take effect> <the weather had an effect on everyone's mood>.

Examples of EFFECT

They are trying to effect a settlement of the dispute.
The duty of the legislature is to effect the will of the people.
When, at last, rescue is at hand, Jewitt has no hesitation in lying to his old friend and master, Maquinna, in order to effect his escape, although he does persuade the captain of the brig Lydia not to kill the chief. &#8212;Carolyn Kizer, New York Times Book Review, 21 Feb. 1988

Pappers, the usage you mention is certainly correct, but it is a bit less common, especially in every day conversation. The basic usage that weirdboy and I posted is what the OP was after, IMHO.

Dan, both instances of effectively should be spelled with an e in your example.

I started with a loose mash as far as water and grains go; then raised the burner heat to affectively bring the kettle up to temperature. The effect, in temperature was to hot. I needed to lose some heat before the tannins were extracted. So loosened, reduced, the regulator input pressre thereby effectively decreasing the burner heat. The effect was a perfect mash!

If it's not to much.. Grade me harshly.. big red marks across my mistakes... or something like that.

This hurts my brain to look at. I don't understand how you can spell it "affectively" and "effectively" in the same paragraph. Also you have way too much/inappropriate punctuation.

I have a copy of a grammar and style manual in arm's reach with my trouble spots tabbed (lay, lie, laying, lain, etc.) I can't remember the right one so I just have trained myself to always look it up.

Evil prank if a grammar Nazi leaves his/her smartphone unattended: go into the autocorrect dictionary and change than to then and vice versa, you're to your, their to there, etc.

Can we start a thread like this to teach people how to use Belgian/Belgium??? I can't stand when people post that they want help on their Belgium ale...It's not difficult...It even says Belgian on the bottle of pretty much every belgian ale.

End rant...lol

If you went to Catholic School like I did the nuns would just beat you with a ruler until you learned it.

Dan said:
I can never remember the difference when using "affect" or "effect", when typing.

Also can't remember how to use "lose" or "loose" correctly.

Any simple memory joggers?

Thanks.

Great post. I had an inkling someone with a stick up their arse would "enlighten" you.

Back